• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on enclosed trailers

Crow Hunter

Question

I want to get an enclosed trailer to park on my hunting land to store my ATV, etc. The last bit of road into my cabin however, has a couple of nasty bends around big trees, so I doubt I could pull one in with my truck. So my question is, what is the tongue weight on an empty 6x12 enclosed trailer? Would I be able to hitch it to my ATV and pull it that way the last 50 yards? Would a two-axle trailer work this way? (I don't know if they sell two-axle ones in 6x12.)

Thanks for any help.

CH

4 answers to this question

Just wondering, why not just build a small shed? Or is it because of permits, etc? If that is reason, I understand totally. If not, a trailer is quite a bit more expensive that the lumber and hardware of even a bigger shed.

But to answer your question, yes there are dual axle in that size, but mainly for load capacity, something it doesn't seem like you would need to worry about if you are ging to leave it there.

If you do get trailer I would recommend making sure it has the rounded roof rather than (cheaper) flat roof, for water run off and ice reasons.

....ahhh, unless you will be towing it home for winter, then I understand why trailer.

Also, if you have it balanced right (i.e. guy standing on rear door...) I bet you could pull it in there with a garden tractor, so ATV would pull an even bigger one fine I bet.

Good luck.

I would rather go with a trailer so I can take it with me if I need it, should I sell the land, etc. The other thing is I do not have electricity up there which would make building a shed harder. Thanks for the reply. CH

As Box mentioned, if there's too much tongue weight, just put some ballast (guy, concrete blocks, whatever) at the very back end of the trailer and you could probably balance it out to where there would be zero tongue weight, especially if you got a single axle trailer.