Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AJ

How do I download the Lowrance software? How do I move my waypoints?

12 posts in this topic

2 Questions. I just bought a new 520c lowrance sonar/GPS combo.

1) In the supplemental instructions contained with the unit it tells me I need to go onto the Lowrance site and download the latest version of the software. Once I download the upgrade software on my PC, how do I transfer it over to the Lowrance unit? Not clear to me. Also, will this software eliminate the shallow water problems I have been hearing about (the Lowrance does not read consistently in shallow water).

2) I have 300 waypoints on my Garmin hand held. I can easily move these over to the Lakemaster software on my PC. I can also move them into a spreadsheet or text file on my PC. Once I have them there, how do I get them onto my new Lowrance 520c? I did buy the Lakemaster chip for the Lowrance.

Thanks for the help.

1) In the supplemental instructions contained with the unit it tells me I need to go onto the Lowrance site and download the latest version of the software. Once I download the upgrade software on my PC, how do I transfer it over to the Lowrance unit? Not clear to me. Also, will this software eliminate the shallow water problems I have been hearing about (the Lowrance does not read consistently in shallow water).

You might get mixed reactions from mine, but I wouldn't even bother. When I upgraded my Lowrance, things only went wrong and none of my hopeful problems were fixed. There are plenty of people who have upgraded a few times in the past with ease, but I've just been hearing too many bad things about the updates.

If you do wish to update, you'll need a SD card from any local electronics store. Make sure it's 1GB or less, or it will not work. With the card in, you will run the downloaded file and install it onto the SD card. It's pretty simple if you follow Lowrance's instructions. Load the card into the unit, power on, there you go!

I'm in the don't download column is you don't have any problems. Second, talk to the folks you bought it from.

Third, call Lowrance and spend the on hold time. Set you phone on speaker, do the dishes, clean some windows and by the time they get to you at least you will have things done that you can see right away.

me too dont download stay with what you got unless you really really have to upgrade

If I remember right JAVA or maybe NETBEANS program would need to be in your PC to use Lowrance downloads.

That's correct, you'll need Java JRE or JDK to make it work... I have updated all 5 of my lowrance products with no problems. I have also updated all my friends as well. Take 2 minutes.

As far as the way points I think you'll have to download a third party software to convert from Garmin to Lowrance formats

So what I am hearing is that I need an SD card reader and a card for my PC, in addition to the Java software? Was I supposed to get one (SD card reader) of those with my Lowrance unit? If not, I think it is annoying they include a brochure telling me I need to upgrade my brand new unit but they don't explain how or include the hardware required to upgrade it. Thanks for the replies so far.

Readers are like 10 bucks, and you could get and 8mb card for the same (which is all you really need, because the updates are small in file size)... The Java software is free. And unless you bought MapCreate software you were not supposed to get a reader.

Does anyone know where I can find the latest software update for Lowrance x125 depth sounder? I loose depth at all depths and all speeds. I've moved my transducer and tried a new one with no luck. I figure it must be a software issue. Example, if I come to a complete stop, it can take 3-5 minutes to register the correct depth.

Larry

That sounds like it could just be a bad transducer too. But the updates are in the Downloads/software update section of Lowrance's site. Good Luck.

If you like the way your unit performs now then don't bother with an upgrade if you're only looking to have the latest software. Software upgrades are designed to help with problems, not necessarily "improve" the unit. Although some of the units can have "shallow water mode" added to them. This allows the unit to perform better in shallow water, especially when weeds come into play. The blinking numbers and solid screens have been fixed by the problem for some people...

If you need someone to update your unit(s), feel free to stop in at Thorne Bros in Fridley, MN... we'll update them for free and help trouble shoot any problems you might have...