• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's Your Favorite Gulp Alive?

solbes

Tomorrow we're leaving for a half week trip to the Itasca State Park area. My father in law had some of the Gulp Alive and I caught a few fish on it. I'm going to pick up a tub today at FF, but wanted to get some opinions on which one is your favorite. Since it's a little spendy I will not be able to get 3 or 4 varieties to let the fish decide.

Mainly I'm interested in attracting walleye's and pike with these and will fish them on a jig, spinner, or lindy. I'm usually in fairly clear water so natural colors seem to work best. Here's what I see as my top 4 candidates:

-5" leech, floating or non-floating

-3 or 4" Minnow in Smelt

-3 or 4" Minnow in Black Shad

-3 or 4" Minnow in Emerald Shiner

If you get a chance, please let me know which one is your favorite. Thanks!

I have been using the 3" smelt minnows on spinner rigs. Beats live bait, have also used them on jigs, works GREAT. Jury is still out on the floating Leeches. I have try the crawlers, but only getting Rock Bass.

Thanks for some input. I ended up getting a bucket with 4 different colors in it for the 3" minnows. Smelt, emerald shiner, pumpkinseed, and some watermelon color. I also got a packet of 5" leeches and have some nightcrawlers already. Throw them all together and use them whenever I need them smile

I picked up a bucket of the 4" chartreuse minnows before the season started and every walleye caught with them have been 20" or larger. Now I'm not saying I boated fish after fish with the stuff, but the ones that did bite were quality size and that's primarily what I'm targeting anyway since I don't eat fish very often. I've used it pitching jigs as well as trolling/snap jigging. Stuff seems to work!

I've been eyeballing the leeches but have never been impressed with the regular Gulp leeches so I haven't bit the bullet on the Alive variety yet.