Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doop

legality of this........

9 posts in this topic

I was watching the Fishin' Canada show this morning and they caught 7 walleyes that were eaten by northerns as they were reeling the walters in....could you keep the northern if it's not hooked and is just holding onto the walleye?

Very funny episode by the way.

My best guess without referring to the regs is no, can't keep the northern. I think using a gamefish as bait is illegal and since they caught the northern using a walleye, even though it was unintentional, and walleye is a gamefish, the northern must go back.

Not sure on Canadian laws but here in Iowa gamefish can be used as bait as long as its caught by leagle means, used in the same body of water it was caught in and count it as part of your daily bag limit. We have been know to troll 20" pike for muskies grin

It's not legal to keep, you can't use gamefish as bait - even unintentionally (Sp?)

It sure is fun to see it though

I've had this happen numerous times on my trips up north. In some spots I'll just start "jigging" a caught walleye on the way up and the pike will strike. Sometimes grabbing the walleye and letting go 3 or 4 times before getting the walleye (and sometimes pike) in the boat. Usually the walleyes are 12-18" and the pike are 24-36".

BlueLund....where up north?

Have you ever fished Montana?

I think I would probably try to get a net under them and get a picture of the 2 fish. fishing memory you will probably want to remember.