Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Grebe

Question

27 posts in this topic

Whats up with this constant wind? What the heck creates it, where does it come from and why is it blowing in such a strong and sustained manner day after day? I've had to switch to a 30 gallon galvanized garbage can full of concrete for an anchor!

Seems like we have only had a few days all summer so far where the wind hasn't been blowing...must have something to do with the El Windo...El Nino is so last year. Any weather buffs out there?

Well Grebe, how would you like to live here around Duluth. Not only windy but COLD!! Ya ist been bad all over this year. I think we got spoiled for the last 4 years with warm and dry days.

Well, first off, the wind over the past couple days can be attributed to a strong low pressure system over Ontario. The lower the pressure, the stronger the wind. In addition, we have had a couple fronts go through over the past week. Fronts are actually in pressure troughs ('trofs') with lower pressure.

In addition to all this is the topography and general location where we are. Much of southern Minnesota is often windy... an extension off the downsloping plains in the Dakotas.

I will say that it seems like we have had several storm systems to deal with for the past several weeks, and they seem to be going through during the weekends... perhaps this is a major factor for your perceptions as well...

-Gregg B.

I think this going to turn into a political argument. After all something is not good (too much wind) and therefore someone or something has to be at fault. The blame must either fall on the Republicans or the Democrats.

Mr.Freeze is behind it all !

I go with steffanf says, its easier that way. The Mr.Freeze vs Neptune or Zeus debate might get ugly.

Ever hear of La Nina'--opposite of El Nino'--we're in it.

You are only partially correct steffanf. Wind is not the result of low pressure necessarily. Place yourself in the center of the pressure system and winds can be quite calm.

I believe the windiest areas are those where a low and high pressure meet. It is my understanding that this is because the high pressure rotates clockwise while the low pressure counterclockwise. When these two collide, the winds start to blow as they are squeezed through the funnel (wind tunnel) between them. The more contrasting the pressure systems are, the higher the wind speed.

Compound this with extreme temperature changes and the result is even more dramatic not to mention the storms that come along for the ride.

Bob

I'm pretty sure that the strong west winds can be attributed to the fact that Green Bay sucks!! The Packers, that is, not the town.

Your all WRONG!!!! Jesse Ventura is in town thats where the wind comes from!!!

Your all WRONG!!!! Jesse Ventura is in town thats where the wind comes from!!!

Not! If it were Jesse's fault it would have been hot air

I would rather fish in rain or snow then try to fish on a windy day. It is just to much work for me and takes the fun out of it.

Walleye chop.....

But will admit those breakers rolling in on the south side of Ottertail this weekend were a bit much

Lynn

let's see... in my neck of the woods, the wind has been swing from sw to nw... that must mean that the Dakotas blow and wisconsin sucks! hehehehehehehe laugh

I have been having this argument with a friend. It just seems that we can not get a day on the lake where the wind is not blowing so hard it makes it difficult to fish. I can stand some rain or snow, but wind throws your lures every which way and makes it impossible to work a spot for very long without the anchor.

Last year it didn't seem to be doing this every day.

I have been having this argument with a friend. It just seems that we can not get a day on the lake where the wind is not blowing so hard it makes it difficult to fish. I can stand some rain or snow, but wind throws your lures every which way and makes it impossible to work a spot for very long without the anchor.

Last year it didn't seem to be doing this every day.

Man, last year sucked big time. Not for wind, but for heat!! I think it was to hot for the wind to even blow last year!

So now I'm reminded that I hate the heat as much as the wind.

It's not Jesse, it's Chuck!

Chuck Norris is soooo though, the mere mention of his presence is like a windy storm as he's right behind you breathing down on your fishing excursion.

LOL's

Maybe it's just the ICast show...

The correct answer was touched on in a earlier post. Its pretty simple really...

The truth is that the Dakotas blow and Wisconsin sucks, being caught in the middle makes for very windy days.

Not much we can do about it, just get a bigger anchor.

You are only partially correct steffanf. Wind is not the result of low pressure necessarily. Place yourself in the center of the pressure system and winds can be quite calm.

I believe the windiest areas are those where a low and high pressure meet. It is my understanding that this is because the high pressure rotates clockwise while the low pressure counterclockwise. When these two collide, the winds start to blow as they are squeezed through the funnel (wind tunnel) between them. The more contrasting the pressure systems are, the higher the wind speed.

I really didn't want to make this really complicated, not to mention, a course in Weather 101. What you are saying about the center of low-pressure being calm is true. When it all comes down to it, it's about pressure GRADIENT. The steeper the gradient, the windier it is. Next time you look at a full weather map, make note of the isobars (lines of constant pressure). Think of these lines like depth contours on a lake map. When the lines are closer together, the steeper the drop-off. The same goes for isobars. When you have pressure lines closer together, the gradient is steeper, thus making the winds stronger. When you have a strong high pressure system relatively close to a low pressure system, the isobars will be tightly packed and the gradient very steep. At the same time, the winds can be relatively weak, even when you get right between a LOW and a HIGH. Strength and proximity are the keys that contribute to the gradient.

Strong low pressure centers will have a very tight gradient around them. They usually have a tighter gradient than any high pressure center typically has. Strong winds you are often seeing are most often the result of an approaching or departing low pressure system. There are always exceptions and topography plays a role here as well. Class dismissed...

P.S. Hope I didn't bore you all. I did like the crack about the Dakotas blow and Wisconsin sucks. I'll have to remember than one...

-Gregg B.

Man, last year sucked big time. Not for wind, but for heat!! I think it was to hot for the wind to even blow last year!

So now I'm reminded that I hate the heat as much as the wind.

Last year we had 27 days at 90 degrees or above. No wonder why I was actually glad to see winter come!

Gregg- thanks for the weather lesson, not boring at all.

sooo, what tv channel do you work for in the weather dept.? just kidding, i seen that as a very interesting read actually. especially when you put it in contrast to a lakemap.