• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deer in the garden

sparkyaber

So I live in a development with 1/3 acre lots (r.e. packed in) that is very busy, With no stands of trees withing a mile. My wife and I both grew up on farms with large gardens that fed our families year round. We decided to put in a small garden, just enough to satisfy our fresh veggie need for a few months in the late summer early fall. Now that the beans and peas are about knee high, and the corn about waist high, the #@$@#@!^&ing dear came through and ate all of the tops off the beans, and ate the cucumber leaves. What are my opitions of repelling the deer, besides keeping the hound outside all night?

# 9 wire snares, meat to go with your veggies.HaHaHaHa I found once they find good eats and their accustomed to humans there's not much they wont learn to fear or be weary of, in time what ever you try they'll get used to it.The dog's always alert and willing.If chained they will learn that also.

All the people that feed and say oh those pretty deer,soon learn Ma hubbards cuboard will soon be bare.

We use a product called "Liquid Fence" We get it in a one gallon jug with the pull out sprayer. It smells absolutely awful but it dissipates when dry. We use it on our veggies and our landscape gardens. The deer haven't eaten the hostas, the tiger lilies or the veggies. With the rain we've been reapplying once a week, but its cheap and safe for the food.

Plant a border with plants deer arent known to eat. This is what my landscape design studio prof's told us a the the U. I havent had a situation where I need to try it.

The reasoning being that the deer will see plants they dont like and will avoid the garden.

Email me and I'll send you a few plant lists for deer resistant plants or check a few pages back. I have posted listed before.

[email protected]

I've been trying the Liquid Fence for about 3 days. So far, so good. The rabbits have been eating the beans & flower beds for 2 months. Maybe this will be the ticket! I'll report back.

I suggest purchasing some electronet fencing from Premier fencing. Easy to setup and take down, completely temporary, yet very effective. I ran a vegetable farm for 5 years, electric fencing is the only way to go IMO. Has some up front costs, but will last for many years.

LB

I use a product called MILORGINITE that is available from Fleet Farm that I have had used. It’s a mild fertilizer made at the Milwaukee sewage treatment plant from human waste. It has a little smell to it but it works to keep deer and rabbits away. I apply it with hand spreader a couple times a year.

Don’t lick your fingers

The Liquid Fence seems to be working. I still have rabbits in the yard but they haven't touched the beans. The squirrels are still digging around though. Does the squirrel repellent spray work

very good?

Thanks - Vern

One thing with the Milorginite- its not supposed to be used on crops and vegetable gardens. Its known to have a high contained of dissolved heavy metals. That's why farmers cant legally use it.

But some else was telling me it helps with deer.