• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to use when your lake turns green

new_kid

I fished a lake last weekend and did very good then went back yesterday and it had turned green and i realy struggled to catch fish so i guess just looking for any pointers to help me catch a few more with the murky water

Interesting....I use the loud/dark colors in green water - Chartreuse, black, pink, etc. as I have always been told natural presentations in clearer water work best.

As for spinnerbaits - I always use painted blades in dirty, stained, or algae bloom water.

As a lake is turning from clear to stained, fishing can be quite difficult. I think it has to do with fish normally feeding by sight in a lake like this and then having to adjust to feeding more by sound. In my opinion it often takes a week or two for the fishing to rebound. As others have said, larger baits, darker colors, slower presentations. The good news for many, once the lake greens up, weeds will often die forcing the fish shallower. and easier to find. But as I said, it may take a few weeks for this to happen.

I upsize my baits, 10 inch worms, 3/8 to 1/2 Jigs with 4/5" craws and the like. Generally with Blacks, Blues and chartreuses. But in all honesty, I'm with sledneck, find a lake that isn't green. Why fight tough conditions if you don't have to.

I agree with the others as for bait selection. When using plastics in dingy water I typically throw a purple plastic with flakes. Also, the plastic is bigger, a lot of craw baits, creature baits, those with tenticles. If I go with a worm, I go with a big ribbon tail on it. Anything to move water.

Nokomis got pretty green and I stopped catching bass on 7" worms. I went out Tuesday and caught two fat ladies on 8" salamanders. I think the bigger bait is easier for them to see. It also sinks more slowly and doesn't just bury in the weeds as quickly. I used a dark, dark red with flakes.