• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Johnson motor

slammer

Just inherited a old 7.5 hp Johnson outboard motor. The colors are kind of maroon and white and it has 2 dials on the front for rich and lean carb settings. Not sure what year it is because it's covered with dirt and oil and have not had a chance to clean it up. I'm guessing its a late 50's or early 60's model. Anyone know who restores these things? It sat in a barn for at least 10-15 years so it will need a total redo.

Thanks

Go for it if you have some mechanical skills. As far as running, Do a compression test first. If that looks good them it probably needs a tune up kit, possibly coils(they are more than likely cracked), carb kit, plugs, water pump impeller.

You would also want to look at the gear oil. Make sure it hasn't sat for that long with water or rust in there. You might want to look at resealing as well.

The rest is clean up, simple green and elbow grease.

Post the model number and I'll tell you the year.

Did a little clean up on it today. Doesn't look too bad at all. Model # is AD-11. I will probably take it apart this winter and see what I can do with it. Pulls over good and seems to have good compression.