• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sea Foam vs. Sta-bil - Opinions?

DewDropper89

Just wanted to see if anyone has strong opinions one way or the other on the two common fuel stabilizers. I have always used Sta-bil, but for no particular reason. Has anyone had really bad luck with either product or swears by one for any particular reason? Thanks.

Maybe haven't resurrected any motors but have saved a couple from the operating table with Sea Foam. My dad was a big proponent of Sta-bil and saw me save a laboring Yamaha outboard that hadn't been winterized with Sea Foam. He was a quick convert.

What's with the Benny Hinn insinuation on a nice consevative fishing site. Keep that at the bottom of your tackle box with your "crappie" lures.

Both products bring a lot to the table. I am NOT a believer in what I call "Mechanic in a can" but they both do their jobs.

Biggest difference I know if is that Sta-bil is a stabilizer, and that's where it ends. It's a very good stabilizer and has done it's job for years. Sea Foam is a good stabilizer, upper cylinder lube, cleaner, etc, etc, etc.

I won't try to talk you in or out of either product, but I put some Sea Foam in every can of boat gas I run. Carbs have been squeaky clean for years.

I drink the sea foam cool aid. ALL the time. Every can of boat gas, sled gas, once a month in the truck, when the oils is changed I put a can in the crank case on the way home from getting the supplies, ice auger.....

Basicaly if it runs on gasoline, (if you can call what we get now gasoline) it gets sea foam at some point in time.

To compare the two, I tried Sta-bil in the boat and the sleds Once . That was enough for me. Sea Foam was still used used to rescue all three motors when the time came.

I had to wiki Benny Hinn because I had no clue who he was. Apparently he believed he was given special powers to heal the sick, hence the Sea Foam/Benny Hinn reference. No harm, no foul, and very creative.

To get back on point, I like to use Sea-Foam on my seasonal engines as well. As said above, the gas we get is hardly gas anymore, but I also use non-oxygenated (ethanol free) in my seasonal engines to help prevent the issues associated with regular unleaded. Regular gas won't touch my boat engine unless it's a last resort to going empty.

I use both in all of my non automotive stuff and have never had any fuel related problems in anything. Depends on the mood I'm in if I buy sta-bil or sea foam. I am not a beliver in fix it in a can either but I just use it to stabilize the fuel since some of my stuff gets very little use.

Or are they gimmicks. I use nothing. I might be cruising for a bruising but my engine don't sit for over 4 months without being used and when they get used many tankfulls go through them. That's MN for ya.
I wonderd the same thing to Ive never used it and never had any problems.I'll fog the engine in fall but I leave a 3/4 tank full un touched over winter with no problems. The moter pops off every spring just like I just shut it off. I just jinxed myself didnt I ?

I'm not much of a mechanic--if it needs cut-up in small piecies with a sharp knife or smacked right hard with a hammer I'm your man. If it has a carberator on it you'll have to show me where it is. I used to know a very good small engine mechanic and he put Sea Foam in everthying--cars, trucks and snow machines and power saws included. I have no idea why. His old junk ran like the everready rabbit.

Originally Posted By: fishandshroom
Or are they gimmicks. I use nothing. I might be cruising for a bruising but my engine don't sit for over 4 months without being used and when they get used many tankfulls go through them. That's MN for ya.
I wonderd the same thing to Ive never used it and never had any problems.I'll fog the engine in fall but I leave a 3/4 tank full un touched over winter with no problems. The moter pops off every spring just like I just shut it off. I just jinxed myself didnt I ?
I gotta go with the gimmicks,however in fall I do use stabil in fuel that will sit.I bought 2 cans of seafoam and they are sitting right where I put them last April,keep forgettin them! But even without it my engines run fine!Why kick a dead horse?Maybe if ya dont take care of your machines it may help,I dont know tho.

Sea-foam. I just use in the first tank and last tank of the year. Cleans and stabilizes. Use in my sleds, motorcycle and boat. Never had a problem with the carbs or injectors any of them. The motor cycle is a 1980 XS1100, 28 years old. The smell of sta-bil burning off in that first tank in the spring, in my kicker motor, makes me feel ill.

I do remember about 8 years ago there were reports of a certain stabelizer creating problems in engines. I'm sure that was rumer that is why I didnt say the name of this product.

As far as seafoam as cleaner I think its awsome stuff but I dont know how good it is as stabilezer.

I had a Blezer that sat for 5 years without running wouldnt hardly run took the injectors out soaked them in seafome over night popped them back in started it and ran smooth.

Hey Limit - thanks for the nod. I thought everybody had seen some of Benny Hinn's antics...

Bryce - what's liberal about that? It's funny - if you take the time... LOL

Sea Foam is great. I know guys who think it's the salvation to just about everything....

Both I guess.

I use a little Seafoam in every tank full for the boat, mowers, generator, snowblower, and weed whip. I also add a can through the gas tank, crankcase, and throttle body of both cars once a year. Keeps the gas fresh in short periods of time, absorbs any moisture, and keeps the carbon out of the cylinders.

For actual stabilizing over winter, I use the Stabil with non-oxy premo gas.

I spoke with one of the three tech guys at BRP/EVINRUDE and he told me that I would have better luck if I ran the 87 octane vs 91. I replied that everything I have ever heard is contrary to his advise. He went on to explain that the higher octane caused more carbon and that the engines produced since 1985 are intended to be run on 87 octane. I asked about the fuel breaking down and he said to simply put fuel stabilizer in the last couple of tankfuls each summer and all would be fine. I asked which brand and he stated that BRP/EVINRUDE had only tested with Their own brand and "an off brand that had the desired effect in its brand name". Both worked well. When prodded about the seafoam he alluded to using it if I believed in it otherwise try the 2+4 by BRP/EVINRUDE. When I asked about oils he said that the xd 100 is the best as far as lube quality and limiting carbon build up and that the xd 50 needed to have an additive (carb x) put in to keep the deposits at a minimum and that xd 30 was safe to run in the engines up to 2002 but would require more intensive maintanance in regards to decarbing of the engine. LONG and SHORT reg gas with the green (marine) stabil (or seafoam or 2+4) and premium oil for the maximum life and performance from your engine. At least that is what I now believe from our conversation.

Seafoam in every tank of gas in the boat and in my 5 gal cans of gas for all other gas powered engines. I just have had no issues at all with any of my engines with Seafoam. I'll keep knocking on wood.