Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

No Apologies Necessary

162 posts in this topic

From Christopher Merola, Townhall

On July 5, 2008, the Associated Press (AP) released a story titled: Secret U.S. mission hauls uranium from Iraq. The opening paragraph is as follows:

The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein’s nuclear program – a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium – reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.

See anything wrong with this picture? We have been hearing from the far-left for more than five years how, “Bush lied.” Somehow, that slogan loses its credibility now that 550 metric tons of Saddam’s yellowcake, used for nuclear weapon enrichment, has been discovered and shipped to Canada for its new use as nuclear energy.

It appears that American troops found the 550 metric tons of uranium in 2003 after invading Iraq. They had to sit on this information and the uranium itself, for fear of terrorists attempting to steal it. It was guarded and kept safe by our military in a 23,000-acre site with large sand beams surrounding the site.

This is vindication for the Bush administration, having been attacked mercilessly by the liberal media and the far-left pundits on the blogosphere. Now that it is proven that President Bush did not lie about Saddam’s nuclear ambitions, one would think the mainstream media would report the story? Once the AP released the story, the mainstream media should have picked it up and broadcast it worldwide.

This never happened, due in large part I believe, to the fact that the mainstream media would have to admit they were wrong about Bush’s war motives all along. Thankfully, the AP got it right when it said,

The removal of 550 metric tons of “yellowcake” – the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment – was a significant step toward closing the books on Saddam’s nuclear legacy.

Closing the book on Saddam’s nuclear legacy? Did Saddam have a nuclear legacy after all? I thought Bush lied? As it turns out, the people who lied were Joe Wilson and his wife.

Valerie Plame engaged in a clear case of nepotism and convinced the CIA to send her husband on a fact finding mission in February 2002, seeking to determine if Saddam Hussein attempted to buy yellowcake from Niger. The CIA and British intelligence believed Saddam contacted Niger for that purpose but needed proof.

During his trip to Niger, Wilson actually interviewed the former prime minister of Niger, Ibrahim Assane Mayaki. Mayaki told Wilson that in June of 1999, an Iraqi delegation expressed interest in "expanding commercial relations" for the purposes of purchasing yellowcake.

Wilson chose to overlook Mayaki’s remarks and reported to the CIA that there was no evidence of Hussein wanting to purchase yellowcake from Niger.

However, with British intelligence insisting the claim was true, President Bush used that same claim in his State of the Union address in January of 2003.

Outraged by Bush’s insistence that the claim was true, Wilson wrote an op-ed in the New York Times in the summer of 2003 slamming Bush.

Wilson did this in spite of the fact that Mayaki said Saddam did try to buy the yellowcake from Niger. The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence disagreed with Wilson and supported Mayaki’s claim. This meant nothing to Wilson who was opposed to the Iraq war and thus had ulterior motives in covering up the prime minister’s statements.

It was a simple tactic really. If the far-left and their friends in the media could prove Bush lied about Hussein wanting to purchase yellowcake from Niger, it would undermine President Bush’s credibility and give them more cause for asking what other “lies” he may have told.

Yet, the real lie came from Wilson, who interpreted his own meaning from the prime minister’s statements and concluded all by himself that the claim of Saddam attempting to purchase yellowcake was "unequivocally wrong." Curiously, the CIA sat on this information and did not inform the CIA Director, who sided with Bush on the yellowcake claim. This was made public in a bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee report in July 2004.

Valerie Plame also engaged in her own lie campaign by spreading the notion that the Bush administration “outed” her as a CIA agent. Never mind that it was Richard Armitage -- no friend of the Bush administration -- who leaked Plame’s identity to the press. Never mind that Plame had not been in the field as a CIA agent in some six years.

The truth is, due to their opposition to the war, Joe Wilson, Valerie Plame, the mainstream media and their left-wing friends on the blogosphere engaged in a propaganda campaign to undermine the Bush administration. Now that Saddam’s uranium has been made public and is no longer a threat to the world, do you think these aforementioned parties will apologize and admit they were wrong? Don’t count on it. The rest of the American people should hear the truth about Saddam’s uranium. It is up to you and me to inform them every chance we get.

As far as the anti-war crowd is concerned, the next time they say that,

“Bush lied,” we should tell them to, “Have the yellowcake and eat it too.”

Nice work. Interesting that this was never on the front page of the daily paper or led the evening news......

Yes, that is great information. How is it this was not on the news for a week solid? I'm sure many will have their "websites" to disprove this though.

You and Mr. Merola seem to have missed a few key points.

1. The Yellow Cake Uranium was non-weapons grade. It was legally stored, regulated, reactor grade uranium administered by the IAEA.

2. UN inspectors found the yellow cake after the first Gulf War in 1991. It was documented and safeguarded at that time, due to having been stored in drums that were rusting and leaking.

3. It was removed from the Tuwaitha nuclear complex that Israel bombed in 1981. No evidence has been presented that Iraq moved forward with the enrichment of the yellow cake into fissionable material that could have been turned into bombs or anything else after 1991.

4. There is no evidence that this supply was increased post-1991 from Niger or anywhere else.

5. Go to the international Atomic Energy Agency and type in Iraq Nuclear Weapon programme. They list where the 550 tons came from and when, (starting with Italy in 1979 - Brazil in 1982).

6. Do you really believe any of this is new news? Don't you think this would have been trumpeted from the heavens given the beating in the International community on this War. C'mon.

But hey, don't let the truth get in your way. tired It certainly didn't stop this nation's leaders in 2002-2003.

THANK YOU "BIG TOM". There are as many people out there who want prove this adminastration was right as there are those that want to prove him wrong. Its to bad the ones that want to prove him wright put on the blinders and leave out revalant and important information just to further there cause. Just exactly this adminstrations tactic from the get go

Just as there are many that want to prove him right, there are the same number who want to prove him wrong and they use those same tactics. wink

Yes, that is great information. How is it this was not on the news for a week solid? I'm sure many will have their "websites" to disprove this though.

How did your vacation under the rock go? Did you catch any fish??

Just as there are many that want to prove him right, there are the same number who want to prove him wrong and they use those same tactics. wink
I forgot to mention that I wonder why grin Did you know when your avetar is shrunk down it looks like Will Farrel under that helmit or is it Will grin

Green Bay just offered Bret the back-up job. $13M back-up. Priceless.

No doubt. How many heads can fit over Aaron Rogers' shoulder?

I'm not going to say the President lied, or told the truth, or he's a sinner, or a saint. Why?? in a nutshell cuz only the President and his cabinet knows for sure.

I will say, however, as someone who has been in many combat situations in the middle east, it's a really good thing the 300,000,000 or so American citizens don't know the truth or have seen what I've seen.

Spin away.

Take that statement however you will. I'm not answering questions and I'm not telling war stories. I will say, however, you can feel nice and safe and comfey and cozy in your living room bashing the actions of the administration and be mad cuz you feel you were lied to. As for me, I'm going fishing.

You and Mr. Merola seem to have missed a few key points.

1. The Yellow Cake Uranium was non-weapons grade. It was legally stored, regulated, reactor grade uranium administered by the IAEA.

2. UN inspectors found the yellow cake after the first Gulf War in 1991. It was documented and safeguarded at that time, due to having been stored in drums that were rusting and leaking.

3. It was removed from the Tuwaitha nuclear complex that Israel bombed in 1981. No evidence has been presented that Iraq moved forward with the enrichment of the yellow cake into fissionable material that could have been turned into bombs or anything else after 1991.

4. There is no evidence that this supply was increased post-1991 from Niger or anywhere else.

5. Go to the international Atomic Energy Agency and type in Iraq Nuclear Weapon programme. They list where the 550 tons came from and when, (starting with Italy in 1979 - Brazil in 1982).

6. Do you really believe any of this is new news? Don't you think this would have been trumpeted from the heavens given the beating in the International community on this War. C'mon.

But hey, don't let the truth get in your way. tired It certainly didn't stop this nation's leaders in 2002-2003.

Big Tom... if the Yellow Cake is not such a big deal, then why does the IAEA have to keep watch and administer said Uranium????

All yellow cake in the wrong hands can be dangerous, hence the reason why the IAEA was overlooking the stuff.

And hats off to the Administation for not making a big deal about it for political gain.

I'm not going to say the President lied, or told the truth, or he's a sinner, or a saint. Why?? in a nutshell cuz only the President and his cabinet knows for sure.

I will say, however, as someone who has been in many combat situations in the middle east, it's a really good thing the 300,000,000 or so American citizens don't know the truth or have seen what I've seen.

Spin away.

Take that statement however you will. I'm not answering questions and I'm not telling war stories. I will say, however, you can feel nice and safe and comfey and cozy in your living room bashing the actions of the administration and be mad cuz you feel you were lied to. As for me, I'm going fishing.

Now there is a post I can respect. I have friends that have been over there and have heard stuff that goes on and things they have seen. It's a whole different world and I'm glad there are folks like yourself that go over and protect us.

I dont see where he said yellow cake is not a big deal. What I saw was him clarifying the full details of the report that was not mentioned by gunflint.

And of course this administration would make a big deal over this how could they. The the administration had no part in finding the yellowcake and protecting it. They only had to transport it. They just let others put a spin on it just like gunflint did.

Its more than being mad at being lied too it also has to do with being lead down a path we didnt need to go down and were paying for the consequences of it. Was I redundent sorry if i was.

Spin away.

Thank you for serving your country ! You all did us proud, and are doing us proud still!

Signed,

- A Grateful Citizen of the United States of America-

Big Tom... if the Yellow Cake is not such a big deal, then why does the IAEA have to keep watch and administer said Uranium????

All yellow cake in the wrong hands can be dangerous, hence the reason why the IAEA was overlooking the stuff.

And hats off to the Administation for not making a big deal about it for political gain.

I am not saying yellow cake is not a big deal. It is. Particularly so with Iran right next door. You have a nuclear reactor and a weapon delivery system with this stuff you have a WMD.

What I am saying is that this material alone is not a WMD absent the other two things. And to say that it's existence proves Iraq had WMD's is a leap of faith I am unwilling to make or accept. It also does not justify the manner in which we prosecuted this war. Do you think Iran, North Korea, Pakistan etc. has Yellow Cake?

Further, we knew about this material at least as early as 1991 when we had troops on the ground. We probably knew of it's existence when Iraq puchased some of it from Italy as early as 1979. Why we left it there in 1991 is beyond me. It sets up what has happened since. The effectiveness of the IAEA is no better than its parent organization the UN.

The problem we have and will continue to have is that the same thing that can be used for cleaner and less expensive power than coal and oil can be used to threaten the world in the wrong hands.

Further, much of it is mined in countries that can use the money they can sell it for.

I know I don't have all of the answers on how we react to its existence in each and every case. What I am sure of is the amount of money spent on this one instance, reduces our ability to combat the others. I also know that any time you go from a surgical strike to an all-out occupation in areas that have had tribal warfare raging for centuries, you will find yourself mired in what we have now.

First let me thank you for your service and your willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice for your country. I would doubt any of us here in our discourse do so blaming the foot soldier for this or any other war. If my lack of service diminishes or makes my opinions worthless in your eyes or anyone elses, I can live with that.

Spin away.

In prosecuting any war, there will always be issues that cannot be shared with our citizenry at the time due to the danger of aiding our enemies. I do however disagree with your assertion that it is a good thing American Citizens don't know the truth. Absent valid and just reasons for prosecuting war, any war, we ignore the principles upon which this nation was founded.

Do you think Iran, North Korea, Pakistan etc. has Yellow Cake?

The only neighboring country known to have the technology to process yellowcake is Iran, but Iran has its own stores of the uranium.

The the administration had no part in finding the yellowcake and protecting it. They only had to transport it. They just let others put a spin on it just like gunflint did.

The yellow cake was discovered by US troops after the 2003 US invasion of Iraq at the Tuwaitha Nuclear Research Facility south of Baghdad.

Apparently they did more than just transport it.

can i get a link to where the yellow 550 metric tons was discoverd in 2003. Just so were not talking about the same yellowcake that was bought by cannada witch is the same yellowcake that was discoverd in 1991. I cant find anything that shows it was discoverd in 2003 or after.

can i get a link to where the yellow 550 metric tons was discoverd in 2003. Just so were not talking about the same yellowcake that was bought by cannada witch is the same yellowcake that was discoverd in 1991. I cant find anything that shows it was discoverd in 2003 or after

Technicians move uranium

WASHINGTON (AFP) — At Iraq's request, the US military recently transferred hundreds of metric tons of yellowcake uranium from Iraq to Canada in a secret, weeks-long operation, a Pentagon spokesman said Monday.

The 550 metric tons of uranium, which was sold to a Canadian company, was moved by truck convoy to Baghdad's "Green Zone," then flown by military aircraft to a third country where it was put on a ship for Canada, said Bryan Whitman, the spokesman.

"The operation was completed over the weekend, on Saturday," Whitman said.

The yellow cake was discovered by US troops after the 2003 US invasion of Iraq at the Tuwaitha Nuclear Research Facility south of Baghdad, and was placed under the control of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Yellowcake is a form of processed uranium ore that can be used to make fuel for nuclear reactors, or if further enriched as fuel for nuclear weapons.

Whitman said the Iraqi government asked the United States for help in selling and transferring the uranium to another country.

Cameco, a Canadian company, agreed to buy the yellowcake for a reported sum in the tens of millions of dollars.

The cost to the United States of transferring the uranium came to about 70 million dollars, Whitman said. He said the Iraqi government has agreed in principle to repay part of the transfer costs.

The US State and Energy Departments also played roles in the operation, Whitman said. But the Defense Department took the lead in carrying out the transfer, he said.

It took 110 shipping containers to carry the drums loaded with yellowcake, he said.

They were transferred by convoy from Tuwaitha to a secure facility within the Green Zone, the international zone, Whitman said.

Then they were flown by C-17 military transport planes to an undisclosed third country. Whitman said it took 37 planeloads to complete that portion of the transfer.

"At this intermediate location the cargo was loaded onto a US-flagged cargo ship, a military sealift container ship, the USS Gopher State," he said.

Whitman said the arrangements for the sale began several months ago, but the transfer itself took "weeks not months."

With the transfer, no yellowcake was known to be left in Iraq, Whitman said.

News of the operation broke over the weekend when Cameco acknowledged the arrival of the uranium shipment at Montreal.

Lyle Khran, a Cameco spokesman, said the company had responded to a bid request made last year by the US government.

"We are satisfied at having been able to remove uranium from one of the most unstable regions of the world, and to have transfered it to a stable region to produce our own electric power," he said on Sunday.

He said the yellowcake would be used at the Blind River and Port Hope nuclear power plants north of Toronto.

Hosted by Copyright © 2008 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

Remember Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame, the married couple looking for notoriety and a book deal?

Plame said her “desk job” at the CIA was compromised by I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby and her husband Joe Wilson said Iraq and Niger never discussed the purchase of large amounts of “yellow cake“.

Should we forget how “Weapons of Mass Destruction” or WMD was the reason to topple Saddam Hussein despite he ignored UN sanctions, used biological weapons on his own people, ran “Oil for Food” with friends at the UN, threatened the US, Israel and other Western countries with nuclear threats?

It was pile on time for anyone with an ax to grind against the Bush administration and there were hundreds falling to blame Bush, impeach Bush, and excoriate Bush.

After invading Iraq in 2003, the US found massive amounts of uranium yellowcake, the at a facility in Tuwaitha outside of Baghdad and secretly helped the Iraqi government ship it all to Canada, where it was bought by a Canadian company for further processing into nuclear fuel.

This seems to have been missed by the mainstream media since it wouldn’t play into the hands of Liberals and Barack Hussein Obama who said the war in Iraq was illegal and we should withdraw immediately. Oh! That’s right, Mr. Obama has changed his tune on Iraq three or more times since last October. Never mind!

Since Saddam Hussein acquired most of his uranium before 1991, but still had it in 2003, when invading U.S. troops found the stuff he only placed his nuclear weapons program on hold and planned to reconstitute it later.

Approximately 550 tons of yellowcake was discovered and once refined could make 142 nuclear weapons. This should put to rest the canard peddled by the American left and by former Ambassador Joseph Wilson that “Bush lied” about Iraq seeking yellowcake from the African country of Niger. Officials in Niger’s government have said Iraq did make overtures to buy uranium and it’s quite possible all or part of the 550 tons came from there.

A bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that this was not merely untrue, it was the opposite of the truth: Wilson’s report actually bolstered the belief that Saddam was seeking uranium from Niger.

However, the press had a field day calling President Bush a liar, parsing the facts and ignoring the truth. Now they find it all too convenient to ignore the shipment of yellow cake to Canada.