• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Liriano - Who falls out of the Rotation

Big Tom

That is right. Less time in the majors = not eligible for arbitration as soon.

My question is this...if the Twins bring him up and put him in the bullpen, or limit his workload (like I mentioned earlier as a fifth starter with lots of skipped starts), does he still grouse about it?

Even more important, if the Twins bring him up and he gets hurt, do the Twins have recourse against the Player's Union for forcing them to bring him up before he was ready?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reasoning behind this is if he is called up by Aug 1 he is eligable for arbitration (sp). It is in the twins best interest to wait till after aug 1, or better yet sept. call ups.

Unless Joe Christenson in the Strib has it wrong a player needs to be in the top 17% of players with between two and three years of service to qualify for arbitration. With 74 days of service left for this year, Liriano likely wouldn't qualify.

I thinking this is just his agent doing his job. I would not bring him up to put him in the pen. Either wait for an injury, a three game blow up by someone else or move Livan to the pen and get rid of Lamb or Bonser.

lamb has proven himself useless, bonser is plain horrible, and livan...well he is pretty chubby. i know everyone knows this already, but it is good to keep it fresh in everyone's mind. i forgot about monroe, but at least he has had 1 or 2 clutch hits (homers). i am sure the management is well aware of this and they know no one wants these guys, so i understand the pickle they are in. might just have to bite the bullet and cut 'em. maybe the league should allow a bright colored ball, like orange or red, so delmon can see it when a fly ball is hit his way in the dome.

why would the twins allow him to make so many starts in the minors? generally a guy is sent down for rehab or whatever and after a few starts i brought back up. if the twins don't want him trade him and get someone for him.

He is still rehabbing from his injury.

They know that its the minor leagues and it will help him build his arm up.

They want this guy to be the ace for the foreseeable future. They'd rather not bring him up and have him over exert himself against a team while in the hunt and really set himself back. He could lose another year if he is rushed. They are treating him with care and just going to take it slow.

Reusee on the radio this eavning made the statement that liriano and Livan have the same agent. Livan has a garanteed contract, Meaning if he can get Livan cut and Liriano called up HE the agent gets more $$$$.

I say leave him untill they NEED him. He will be here sept. 1st for sure. We all now how the twins deal with whinners....

Kind of a waste of effort, don't you think? Spend all that time in the minors to build up the arm, then put him in the bullpen. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Livan's stats over all arent all that impressive, but the most important stat, the Twins find away to win behind him, and that is what really counts! I dont care if his era is 20, as long as he is winning!

Liriano needs to chill out, he is going to get his chance, but the Twins should not mess with what they have now, if it works dont fix it!

My son just came up from the Chi-town area and the have Bears jerseys with "FARVE 4" on them also. gringrinlaughlaughwinkcrazy

I am willing to bet at this time, there are FARVE jersey for most teams. except maybe the Patriots and Colts.

Caught an interesting tidbit yesterday...Liriano's agent is also the agent for Livan Hernandez. Soooo...what happens there if/when Livan is the guy who gets moved to the pen or released to make room for Liriano?

Enough Already.

The Franchise went 7 strong innings against the Mud Hens last night, two hits. He has given up 1 earned run in the last 35 innings. I know we're talkin' about minor league ball here but this guy went 10-2 against major leagers two years ago.

He needs to start the opening game of the White Sox series at the dome on six days rest. Can you say sellout?

I couldn't care less who goes to the bullpen or if Billy Smith gets off his arse and brings in some right handed power or additional bullpen help or just plain offs Bass, Bonser or Lamb.

Livan does have value. I would just rather see it in the bull pen or somewhere else. Starting a guy in games 1,4 and 7 in the playoffs that has given up the most hits in the AL and an ERA over 5 just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I agree Liriano has had an awsome stretch and belongs back in the bigs. I also think ALL our starters have earned their spot in the rotation. Short of an injury, or trading one of our top 5 I don't know what the answer is. Guess we'll have to trust the front office to do the right thing.

Livan has given up a lot of hits, but when you throw more innings than anyone else that is to be expected. Look at his win-loss record and I say leave him alone.

Tough choices. Glad I'm not the one who has to make them.

we may just have to give up one of our young starters in a trade to try and bring in some power. might have to throw in a prospect or two as well. no one wants the [PoorWordUsage] that we already know needs to go. everyday it is looking more and more like liriano should be up in the big leagues. if gardy read these forums the twins would have the best record in the majors. yes, that was sarcasm.

Our pen is a mess right now because we are playing the yankees or overall?

You have to remember gardy is something like 3-17 at Yankee Stadium. The twins worst stadium to play in by far.

Lets get a win today and salvage that and get out of town.

Hopefully we can take it to cleveland and white sox and get back to the brand of baseball we were playing most of june and july.

Liriano will come up as needed and as a starter. Its going to take more than 1 bad outing for the Twins to drop one of their current starters.

Livan has given up a lot of hits, but when you throw more innings than anyone else that is to be expected. Look at his win-loss record and I say leave him alone.

Livan is 14th in innings pitched in the AL. He has given up the most hits 178 vs. 142 for Buehrle in second. He has the worst ERA of this group. He also has the fewest strikeouts.

On the plus side, he is tied for fewest walks and is tied for ninth in wins overall.