• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

topwater novice

hey everyone I was up in ontario a couple of weeks ago and it was near dusk in a calm bay and as a joke i guess I put on a zara spook i think it was and withing the next twenty five casts I boated 12 fish and missed prolly 8 more. it was a great experience until I had a monster rip it off about three inches above the water and two inches from the boat. Needless to say I was out a zara spook that was producing fish and a clean pair of underwear. what a great experience.

Definately. Any type of walk-the-dog lure is good, but another option with a better hook-up percent is throwing a buzzbait. Especially if you can find patches of cabbage weeds, throw the buzzer right over them and hang on.

Sounds like a fun time!

I love the buzzbait suggestion, it gives a few more options with using leaders too. The Berkley leaders are quite inexpensive and still light enough not to hinder the lure and make it hard to get it up on top. I use the 6" 30# leaders and the 8" 50# leaders and they work well. Topwaters like the Spook and the torpedo baits I'll use a couple feet of 20# mono, as it helps reduce the bite offs but is still plyable enough to direct tie.

You can't beat throwing a topwater for pike....especially when they come clean out of the water and more times than not will literally jump completely OVER the lure. That will definitely test your nerves....how do you NOT set the hook when they do that!? LOL