• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mantrap advice/pointers

MUSKY18

Took a few days off of work next week to fish and am thinking about possibly running up to Mantrap for a day of fishing. Any advice/pointers you could throw my way would be great!

Was up there a couple weekends ago and managed to put a 41, and 44 in the boat during our three trips over to the lake. We saw lots of fish in and around lillys where I got the 44 on a pink mepps. My buddy got his 41 using a bass sized rattlin rap over a weed flat. I would say stick to the sunken weed flats out in the main lake and fish the lillys and cabbage hard when you in the smaller bays on ur way up to the main lake. Good luck let us know how you do I'm heading up there the 1st or 2nd weekend in august. What days do you plan on fishing it?

I could give you some tips but they probably wouldn't work since I haven't boated a fish there yet this year, ha! I'm actually planning on heading up thursday and will probably be there a few days. If you're interested in meeting up shoot me an e-mail. If weather cooperates there should definately be some fish boated.

Bret, things are tough on Mantrap right now. We fished it Sat morn and this morning, of course both after massive cold fronts and didn't do anything. We also fished it hard for 3 days over the 4th, following stable weather and with an approaching front and nothing doing either. The weeds are beautiful, but they're just not in their normal spots yet. You'll see fish, but your best bet might be the open water trolling deal. Let us know how you do if you go.

I will definately post on what I do or don't do. Looking out at the forecast, it doesnt look to promising at all. Rain, rain, and more rain.......but then again, with the accuracy of the forecast, it will probably be sunny and 100. Who knows?!?!?!

Just another question.......what colors do you prefer to throw up on Mantrap. Better to go with more natural colors or the flashy colors with oranges, reds, etc?

Tippman:

Will be up there on Friday, probably round 10ish or so, going to fish til dark. Me and buddy will be in my Black Lund 1600 SS with a 90 Opti hanging off the back. Goofy looking guy in cut off ACU shorts wearing Operation Muskie hat will be me!!!

Going to fish it sat. and sun. Using my buddies extra boat he has stored in the cabin garage I think we will be in an older red lund with either a white johnson or evinrude motor. Let us know how your doing if you see us.

Bret, if you get dark water (cloud cover) or good, stiff wind from the south, try right in front of the reeds on the north side of the main basin, just to the right (east) of Fremont Point Resort. We've caught and seen some good ones there when conditions are right. There's also good cabbage out from there that usually holds a few fish. We'll be there in August quite a bit, green Ranger w/150 Merc. Stop and chat if you're ever back up there.

Thanks for the heads up Prop! I know that I will be up there again as my brother wants to fish it, just don't know when, but if we see ya, I will definately stop and say howdy!

Good luck on the salmon. My buddy was out there last week for 3 days and only got 12 - which is poor to fair for him. 46 degree surface temps - 10 lower than normal for this time. Course we've had some warm air lately.

Tippman,

Good luck and have fun, it's a different kind of fishing, more rigging and tackle related, but still fun! Like said above, it's been a bit slow (Algoma), set back a few weeks but the warmer weather may help.

Last year we just missed the good bite over Labor Day, I'm hoping the delayed Spring puts us on prime time fish this year.

Pounded Mantrap yesterday. Fishing was slooooooooooow! Only managed to move two fish and caught a few pike. Both muskies came off the cabbage patch that Propster told me about. One smaller fish and one that ran mid forties. Came up and missed my Hellhound, came back and missed it again. Had a couple of other strikes, but no hooks.

fished it hard Saturday afternoon didn't see a thing. Made it out to day after the heavy rains in the morning didn't see any fish for the first half of the day. About three O clock had two follows by low 40's fish in the same area on a smaller bucktail. Then my buddy noticed a real pig swimming right below us. Fishing was real tough but managed a small 4lb ski and my buddy hooked in to a low 30s inch fish probably 10 pounds with about 10 minutes before we pulled the boat out. Ill try to put a pic up of it.

Was out Saturday and sunday I didn't get any but my buddies managed a 38,36,34 all real fat healthy fish did have a couple big follows out at the main lake. Fish were caught out smaller lures rattlin rap, and smaller bulldawg all in the bays leading up to the main lake.

Well planning on getting up there Wed and Thurs am. I'll have a report when I get back.

The Lake Michigan trip I did last weekend instead of Mantrap was awesome. Came back with a limit of fish and made some great memories. Those salmon sure fight nice!

Well just got back. Fished wednesday eveing from about 5 to a little after midnight. Fish were actually most active in the early evening hours (7-ish). Had four missed opportunities with fish either getting off or not getting hooked. Never landed a fish.

This morning was a slow start. Conditions were great with overcast and approaching storm, but there was a [PoorWordUsage] east wind. We hardly saw a fish until the wind switched to the south which it then became calm bluebird weather and late morning. Ended up seeing about 5 fish without any hookups. Maybe next time..