• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gliders and topwaters

These are some of my favorite muskie lures. As far as gliders go, my favorite is the Phantom, but I have very limited use of other brands. What are all your favorite glider types? Do they all have similar action?

Concerning topwaters, I really like using one with a "walk-the-dog" type of action. I currently have a magnum Zara Spook, but I was wondering what you all have for favorite "walk-the-dog" type baits. Something with better action or more appropriate for muskie than the Spook?

-Gregg B.

The phantom is a great glider bait, I have a couple and I like the belly roll that they produce while being worked. Manta's are quickly becoming a classic and they produce a smooth glide action, not as much belly roll like the phantom. The Hellhound is also becoming one of my favorites. They can be worked a little more erractically, and have more of a darting action when worked. Of course the all time greatest glide bait of all time has to be the Eddie. While not all Eddie's are created equal, when you find one that works, it is absolutely DEADLY. Nothing can touch it, IMHO.

For the topwaters, everyone knows about Jackpots and they have pretty much become the staple of walk the dog topwaters. I like them as search lures, but will also throw the Doc quite often, due to its larger profile and the rattle inside of it. Haven't as of yet seen the new Havana that Poe's is putting out, only when Bob uses it on his show. There are starting to get more and more topwaters of this style out there on the market, and each is a little different with different characteristics.

like what MUSKY18 said hellhounds are great,and the other baits he mentioned.For topwaters i love vipers,that lure produced most fish for me last year.weagles,docs and for a smaller bait i even like the dancin raider.All good baits that will produce fish

For gliders Hellhounds are great. Easy to use and you can work them different ways and you can buy them anywhere.

My two favrite gliders are Perkas and muskie treats. Just awesome gliders!!!!!!

For WTD topwaters I only use Vipers. They move water with nice noise and they are a good hooking bait. The new 8" plastic Viper is great.

Also H20 tackle has a great WTD bait. It's called the Recon. I boated some nice fish on this lure before I used the Viper.

And you can't forget about the Weagle. The new 10" weagle is catching some big fish already this year.

Good luck

Brian

Vipers are a good hooking bait? Please teach me. I can't hook a fish on a WTD bait to save my life. Out of maybe 25 blow ups on a viper I have caught 1. Out of 30 blowups on a jackpot I have caught 2.

That's just it... I never seen any of these 3 things at Thorne Brothers. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see tham on their HSOforum either. Who manufactures these 3 lures?

-Gregg B.

Quote:
Where can one get an Eddie, Perka or Muskie Treat? I never heard of these. What do they look like?

Muskie Treat $40 for 7" and Mag Treat $60 for 12" (do a search on google and will find their homepage and varies of colors.)

muskie20treat20blue20map.jpg

Eddie bait $14.29 for 6 1/2" and $14.99 for 12"

muskie20treat20blue20map-1.jpg

I could not find anything on the Perka...although a guy makes em and you can contact him on muskiefirst- goes by the username of Beaver.

Ditto on the Hellhounds for gliders....

WTD topwater is a Weagle for me, hands down. They are a bit heavier and sit lower in the water. This moves more water and reduces the chance of the fish blowing up and launching the bait in the air. There's not a fool-proof WTD, but the Weagle is a consistent producer for me. My 10" Weagle is about to get wet soon.

Straight-line topwaters: Pacemakers are a solid choice, LOWriders in a big water situation. I clip off the middle trebs entirely on the Pacemaker and just leave the shank, makes it a LOT easier.

Here are some muskietreats. Shawn makes a couple of batches a year of these lures.

Lures002.jpg

Here are some Perka's. Last winter Beaver told me he is going to stop making these gliders. You still can find them on hsolist once in a while.

Lures.jpg

Good luck

Brian

salmo slider... lifetime guarantee, nice action, decent price and deadly.

i'm not a big WTD guy by any means but you may want to check out the Big Fork lures' Topcat. it's the lone walk the dog i ever bought to fish with, mainly because the shape was different and i trusted the guy selling it. works ok i think, only got a few on it the last couple seasons. but i hardly ever use it. i plan on soon ripping it apart and making some. good luck.

Oops!!

I should say my topwater 10" Weagle MUSKIE LURE, white with black dots and a chartruece belly, is ready to be used!

Tippman: Good luck with your 5 days off coming up! I hope your Weagle gets wet too and I'll be looking for a good report from you!

Hope the muskies treat you well.....

Eddie bait is an old school lure. Ya don't hear to much about them anymore, however, they are still around and folks still love them. So doe the muskies by the way. If you google, "Eddie Bait" it will link you right to the manufacturers page. They have been around since the '40s.

If I can find some nice cabbage beds on Mantrap this coming week, I will land a 50"er on an Eddie and post up some pics to show you. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!! If it was only that easy.

Thanks Cjac.......going to give it the ol college try. Going to fish hard for 5 days and my luck is bound to change. I've got to get some slime in my net!!

Like grandpa used to say, "If your line aint in the water, ya just aint fishin"

Cjac, when you talk about cutting off the middle treble on a pacemaker...I'm confused. The middle hook is the double, not a treble. Do you remove this? And if so, you don't like the extra noise from the prop hitting that hook? Otherwise what hook are you talking about cutting? Thanks

I clip off the middle trebs entirely on the Pacemaker and just leave the shank, makes it a LOT easier.

Prop... What CJAC means is that he cuts off the curved parts... What Ty does is take a regular treble hook, cuts off one... leaving two hooks... CJAC cuts off the remaining hooks... so theres just the treble shank hanging there... just straight thick piece of metal hanging there to click against the prop... hope thats what CJAC means... and hope its understandable???

Thanks Rebel,

That's what I do, they come with the one cut, but I cut the other two, still long enough of a shank to get the click, but it eliminates the casts with the blade hanging up on the hook.

I have a regular top raider blk/orange and haven't gotten any action on it. Is there a big difference between this bait and the pacemaker? What so different about these that they cost $10 more? I'm sure the obviously one is construction, but do they have a lot different sound or profile going across the water?

Vipers are a good hooking bait? Please teach me. I can't hook a fish on a WTD bait to save my life. Out of maybe 25 blow ups on a viper I have caught 1. Out of 30 blowups on a jackpot I have caught 2.

I've had pretty good success with hook-ups on WTD's I think the biggest thing is to not set the hook until you feel the weight of the fish. This can be extremely tough, but there's already enought movement going on without me trying to bounce it out of his mouth. I'm guessing others can atriculate better than me though.

That said, Propster and I fished together and both commented that with how many times those fish blow up and miss, we're bothe surprised they don't all starve to death!! smile