• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New leadoff hitting options.

bassislife

From what I've been seeing with Casilla at the plate, I think he would make a much better leadoff hitter than Gomez, that is until Gomez shows a little more promise. Sure, Gomez is a little faster then Casilla but Casilla has much better at bats and is much more patient then Gomez.

Gomez hasn't had a very good time at the plate ever since Casilla and (more so) Span came up. I think he's pressing a little at the plate trying to keep up with those two.

Span has had a great start with a fairly paltry sample size of 64 at bats. Span has also never finished a minor league season with an average over .300,while batting a whopping .267 last year in AAA, but now everyone wants to dump Cuddy and tinker with a lineup that is producing the 5th most runs in all of baseball. I believe Morneau was batting about .220 after 60 at bats or so. Lets wait this out before we tear apart the team and lineup for him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Span in the lead off spot and Gomez at the 9 hole. Span see's alot of pitches in his at bats and doesn't swing at [PoorWordUsage] to many times.

I was never a fan of Cuddy. Swings at garbage and never a power hitter. Hit 24 HR in 2006 and drove in 109. Had 16 and 81 in 2007 and K over 100 times in both those seasons. Has a great arm though.

Span has had a great start with a fairly paltry sample size of 64 at bats. Span has also never finished a minor league season with an average over .300,while batting a whopping .267 last year in AAA, but now everyone wants to dump Cuddy and tinker with a lineup that is producing the 5th most runs in all of baseball. I believe Morneau was batting about .220 after 60 at bats or so. Lets wait this out before we tear apart the team and lineup for him.

Not to mention Span is like a .140 hitter against Lefty's career wise.

LOL.... that's why they don't let fans make the decisions...heck we'd have to raid highschool teams just to field a team... grin

Let's see... Punto would be running the drive thru at Arbys, Mauer would be a DH or 3rd basemen, Neshak would be the closer with Nathan traded for Babe Ruth, Gardy's fired, Pohlad is whacked by the mob, Yohan and Hunter would be here to the tune of a GUARANTEED 1/4 Billion, the young starters would pitch the entire game no matter what, Doug Mientkavich never shoulda been let go his glove's to good .....yada yada yada... grin I know I'm missing a few good ones feel free to add them to the post! grin

That being said I love what Spans doing so far but only time will tell how it pans out especially after there is an actual scouting report on him and teams exploit his weekness's.

Go Twins!

Thanks Pier, I get so frustrated reading some of these posts and have to restrain myself from putting my two cents worth in(which in inflationary times gets to be almost a nickles worth). Always welcome a voice of reason.

So Cuddy's sucks huh...

For all MLB outfielders last year Cuddy's rankings were....

Hr - 45th

Runs 23rd

RBI - 27th

OBP - 30th 100 games played min

Slug - 30th 100 games played min

Avg - 25th 100 games played min

Defensively .986 fielding, 19 assists to lead MLB

In major league baseball there were 72 outfielders who played in 100 or more games. I would say that Cuddyer comes out to be a pretty well rounded ball player and can be on my team any day.

Right now I think Gomez could use a rest. I don't have a problem with Mauer or Span in the Two Spot short-term.

Cuddy will be fine once he gets his hand healthy. It's nice having 5 healthy outfielders.

Who said Cuddy suxx? Span is better and he should be starting.

Key word on Cuddy's stats...LAST YEAR. Hes becoming injury prone.

I assumed someone was saying Cuddy suxx since they want to replace him with a guy who has 64 career at bats and batted .267 in AAA last year.

Span is not going to hit 20 + HR's and drive in anything close to 100 runs. Span does not play the baggy like Cuddy does, and he certainly doesn't have as strong of arm either.

You guys are unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck

Span is not going to hit 20 + HR's and drive in anything close to 100 runs. Span does not play the baggy like Cuddy does, and he certainly doesn't have as strong of arm either.

You guys are unbelievable.

With all due respect, Cuddy certainly isn't a lock to hit 20+ hr's and drive in 100 runs either. I believe he's hit those numbers once in his career. In any case, I agree that it's too early to think we need to get rid of Cuddy. He was hurting the team at the beginning of the season with way too many strikeouts but lately he's been swinging decently.

I also think that Gomez probably belongs at the #9 spot right now but how can you argue with the run that the team has been on lately. There's no way you want to tinker too much with the lineup right now.

Talk about making decisions off of emotions. Span may be hot now, but over time, his career .280 batting average in AAA will show in the MLB.

Don't get me wrong... Span seems like a solid ballplayer. But he's not a polished major leaguer like Cuddyer is.

You guys have to take Cuddyer's injury plagued season into consideration. He hasn't been able to grip the bat 100% at any time this season. Once he's healthy, I expect solid numbers from him, and the real deal in right field.

Span makes a nice situation player once Cuddy comes back. Span in left, center or right depending on the pitcher and Cuddy can play 1st once in a while if Justin looks like he may need a rest.

I really think thought that they should have kept L-Rod!! laughlaugh Even maybe signed him to a big contract.

But really this September, when they do make call ups, it will be with players that will be able to help down the stretch. Anybody for calling up Carmen Cali again, or Bobby Korecky?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Casilla batting under .300 in AAA? For hitting with that average there he sure has been showing a lot of veterans up. Who's to say Span can't do the same? Cuddyer is average at best and will never have another season like he did a few years ago.

Maybe ol' Cuddy should be sent down to AAA and see how his average pans out!