• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc 7.5 Outboard, need help

HeIsLegend

Problem:

Late 90's 7.5hp 2cycle merc will not start.

To start off , last spring I had a new carb kit and water pump installed at a shop. Normally when I pump the gas bulb I can feel the gas go into the cyclinder and usualy the excess gas will flow out thru the carb if I over do-it. The bad boy will always fire up great.

Yesterday after I put in a fresh tank of gas, got the boat in the water and tried firing it up like I always do. This time it when I was pumping the bulb it would felt like there was something clogged preventing gasoline to be primed into the engine. Instead of seeing the gas leak out of the carb when i primed it, gas would come out of the end of the fuel hose at the connector and simply would not start. Making me assume something was clogged in the carb?

Heres a few pieces of the puzzle:

* The fuel line I boght this year.

* I removed the carb from the engine head with the fuel line attached. Sprayed the heck out of it with carb-cleaner.

* When I start to prime fuel is expelled thru the carb still un attached from the block.

(so I'm guessing something is plugged in the camber?)

Any suggestions?

I would say you purchased a cheap fuel line and the one way valve is stuck.

Go and buy and factory fuel line and I would think it would solve your concern, or another cheap one for now.

Could be wrong, we will see what others say grin

You shouldn't be able to prime until gas runs out the front of the carb, thats what the inlet needle, float and seats jobs are, to stop the flow when the gas has reached a certain level in the float bowl. Shack makes a good point as well. Some aftermarket hoses and connectors are not of the same quality as OEM. If you have gas leaking out of a connector, it needs to be replaced.

As said, your inlet valve shuts off the gas that enters the carb. Yours wasn't doing that and you were able to continue to pump fuel via primer bulb.

You went on to say "This time it when I was pumping the bulb it would felt like there was something clogged preventing gasoline to be primed into the engine. Instead of seeing the gas leak out of the carb when i primed it, gas would come out of the end of the fuel hose at the connector and simply would not start."

This is good and that is what should happen when the inlet valve shuts off the gas coming into the carb.

Problem is your outboard won't start now. Could be that you need to choke the engine(normal cold for start) because the carb's inlet valve is working like it should.

Or could be that debris was preventing your inlet valve to close and now it moved and is plugging the valve.

Or your flooded.

Try it again with choke. If no go then pull the plugs and see if they are wet or dry. You'll be needing another carb cleaning with kit. That would be new needle and set(inlet valve) and be sure to check the float drop.