• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

17 ' sylvan pro fisherman boat?

andrew chadwick

Im looking at getting a new used boat.

one that caught my eye was a sylvan pro fisherman (1990)

does anyone have any info on the sylvans that is first hand?

good? bad?

Also, this will be mostly a inland lake boat, but will do a fair amount of superior and possibly michigan boat.

does anyone know anything about the 1990's mercury motors in general?

good? bad?

my other question ( which was already posted in the BWCA duluth forums)

this is a console steering boat.

the other I was looking at was a tiller. are there any huge disadvantages of either?

thanks much guys. I am looking forwards to purchasing my first boat, but am very overwhealmed. (my other one i a hand me down.)

I have a 16.5 1989 Sylvan Pro Fisherman walk-thru. Got it used early this spring. Best boat I have had so far. Handles well, comfortable to fish out of. My motor is a Johnson 70 HP 1989 VRO. So far, a really nice motor. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Merc motor. Word to the wise: check boat carefully so that you know what you're getting into.

I have a late 80s silvan 19 ft. I blew a cylinder on the merc that was on it. That was an early 90s motor. I replaced it with a 120 merc. and have had no trouble for 5yrs+. If you are going to be on big water you will like that console. I have been in some swells on leech made my boat seem small. The tiller will give you a little better boat control but plan on getting tired and wet. Put a hose in it and let it run for a while on the trailer. You will see if it leaks pretty easily.

I've got a 16' Pro Select bought new in 95'. Only boat I've had and I love it. Built Solid, with plenty of storage. I have a console and prefer it to a tiller, but I think that just a personal preference for type of fishing you do. I don't do alot of back trolling, but if I start to I'd just add a tiller kicker for that. I really like the design and depth of the boats interior. If I would have done anything different I would have gotten the same thing, but in a 17-18', I guess they call it 2ft-itis. But with 5 kids I could have used the extra room. I think sylvan build an excellent, durable boat, and I have given it a beating a time or two. But I take care of it. As for the motor, I have an 60 Evinrude and dont no much about the Mercs.

I have got a 1989 16.5 Sylvan Backtroller with a 45hp Mariner(tiller). Purchased it 5 years ago and the boat has been great so far. I use it on lakes for bass and pike and the river for cat's so it's able to suit many applications....mechanically I've had no issues with the boat other than needing to rebuild the transom. The layout could be a bit different (rod locker's too short) but other than that she is everything I need. I don't have much for console experience on a fishing boat but I will say that my next boat will also have a tiller. The console in a boat my size does take up a lot of room and space is crucial (atleast for me). I've known other's with Sylvan's and they've all enjoyed them. I don't know much about Merc's but I sure do see a lot of them. Make sure you get your hands on the boat and run it to make sure things are in order. If they refuse I'd simply walk away. They might be attempting to hide a problem. Good luck!

I purchased a used 1995 Sylvan ProSelect with a 100HP Merc in 1997. Has been an excellent boat and motor for me. Took on some monster waves on Lake Oahu at Mobridge, SD(6') plus. The only regret is it is a single console. Not bad for the driver, however the passenger will get wet at times.