• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permanent Gas Tank in Lund Bench Seat???

swedishpimple

Has anyone ever installed a permanent tank in one of the bench seats in a Lund Boat?? It is a 1976 Lund 16'. I have seen the benches removed, but they are part of the floatation and stability system.

I was thinking of the front long bench top and foam. Then dropping in a tank from Overtons, 13 gal. should fit. Then adding as much foam back in around the new tank.

I am sure it will ride different.....but it cant be as bad as modified boats like this that have removed the bench totally.

The venting is a good point and simple to achieve. The tanks also have a fill and overflow kit.

In my opinion... you need to replace the foam you remove somewhere else in the boat.

Removing the bench entirely does affect the structure, but wouldn't affect the ride that much as you haven't added weight.

Two things I would consider - how is your boat going to handle with the extra weight

Where are you going to put the foam you removed?

The details - venting, fill, etc are pretty easy to work out.

marine_man

Am I really adding weight???

The plastic tank weighs next to nothing. The weight is roughly the same as the 2- 6 gallon cans I run with now.

These boats are light. 360# total, I am thinking of getting a new 4stroke...plus myself at 300# in the back.....I think I need that weight up in the front to prevent porposing.

If your running with your tanks up front now it wont matter much at all. If your running your gas tanks elsewhere it will make a big difference in how it handles. Just remember someone may sit up there at times.

Its a easy thing to do but like MM said vent it good, replace the foam elsewhere in the boat.

Myself I would go with the 2 tanks under the seat and hinge the seat but thats just my lazy side. It would be cheaper.

Check out Val he may have some tanks that you could use for sale in the for sale forum.

If your running with your tanks up front now it wont matter much at all. If your running your gas tanks elsewhere it will make a big difference in how it handles.

This was my point - sorry I wasn't clearer. If you're running your fuel tanks in the same spot as your going to mount this permanent tank then go for it. If not I'd evaluate it as sparcebag suggested.

marine_man

I would also suggest taking a look at coast guard and MN boating regulations. By adding a permanant tank in the seat, you will have additional regulations you need to abide by as well. I can understand the idea behind what you would like to do, I am one of the guys that removed a bench and installed a floor. Modifying the boats and making them better for you personally is a lot of fun. Just remember to keep safe.

I'd rather have the weight in the bow in a light boat. One thing though, the weight might be the same but you changed the center of gravity in the boat by mounting the tanks up higher in the seat. Also the tank is long. That fine when installed parallel to the boat but this will be perpendicular to the boat and up high to boot. What happens when you shift wight to one side of the boat, the gas will run to that side as well. Now you compounded that higher center of gravity by allowing it to shift it weight. Maybe the tank has a bulkhead to reduce this shift but I doubt it.

A better alternative and one that the boat manufacturers use is the tank under the floor. You could put that floor between the rear and second bench. Note that any boat with a internal tank needs a fire extinguisher on board.

Good Luck, and let use know how it works out.

I've heard of guys installing a livewell in that same area.

IMO, the weight up front is a bonus on boats like this one, especially if you fish alone a lot. I had to put a stabilizer fin on my motor on my '85 16 foot Alumacraft.

I agree with all the cautionary posts above. Regarding the flotation, for years boats didn't have any. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but if you wear life jackets and have insurance to cover the boat, you will live to fish another day.

I would guess the boat wouldn't sink, but wouldn't float level with the mod. I believe the flotation requirements on new boats is LEVEL flotation. Some is better than none.

I say go for it and enjoy the satisfaction that comes from a nice do it yourself project.

I have an 06' Lund WC-16 which I believe is very close to the OP boat. I plan to install a permanent gas tank either this year or next. I plan on buying an 8"Dia X 30"Long spun aluminum dune buggy tank and fab up some stainless brackets for it. I was going to mount it on the side oposite where I sit to run the motor in front of the first bench seat from the back. I'm tired of having a std. 6 gallon tank moving around the boat. I am not touching the flotation at all this way and the tank is somewhat out of the way and it will help balance the boat.