• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canada 2009 (If gas is not $10/Gallon)

Hey Guys!

New to the board. I have read posts for the past few years and thought I would register. I am planning a trip for 4-5 for Aug/Sept 2009 for NW Ontario. Like many, I too am looking for the right place to stay/fish.

Not a great big fan of huge open water lakes...I like the coves/islands/scenary. We look to target smallies/walleyes/pike.

So anyway, I have a short list. (First draft)

I would appreciate any comments. Good/Bad or even Ugly

Here goes:

Lac Seul: Lost Lake Lodge; Lac Seul Outpost; Goose Bay

Andy Lake Resort

LOTW: Buck Bay Lodge; Wiley Point; Whitefish Bay Camp

Dogtooth Lake: Dogtooth Lake Resort

Nungesser Lake: Angler's Kingdom

English River: Manitou Falls Camp

Thanks for any and all comments!

I have fished out of Manitou Falls Camp many times. In fact, I'll be fishing out of there from July 16-22. It's not the world's most fancy camp, but if you like hanging out at a fancy camp then you're not doing enough fishing (camp should be for food, drinking, and sleeping).

The beauty and solitude of Manitou Falls is exceptional. They are about a two-minute boat ride from a major dam, with some good fishing. They have about 16 miles of river. Most importantly though, they have some very secluded lakes, such as clear lake and bornstrom lake, that provide breathtaking views and some of the best fishing I've ever had.

I highly suggest you bring along a golf clicker, because that's what you'll need if you like to keep a fish count. We've easily cleared 200 walleyes guy/day on good days, and close to 75 on bad days. We've never been up there without everyone in our party landing over a 5lb. walleye. Lots of 6-8lb. walleyes, and a 50/50 chance of landing a smallie over 20" if you're targeting them.

Although some people swear the pike are great there, I must dissagree. These are not world-class pike on that stretch, but you will catch fish. What I have been impressed with though are the general numbers and sizes of muskie. Two years ago I had a fishing lure that looks like a little pike. I had a pike come and take it. When I was getting the "pike-in-a-pike" to the back of the boat I had a muskie come and snarf both off. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

There are many secluded bays, bluff, underwater islands. The one downside to getting down to where the action is...you have to drive through one nasty set of rapids. Once you follow a boat you'll learn how to get through though.

JamesDean, wecome aboard.

I have put many hours/miles on Lake of the Woods, and you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer area than Whitefish Bay. Whitefish Bay Camp is right in the heart of it (about a mile from my place).

Smallies and pike will be abundant, with a largie mixed in. Walleyes are not cut and dry like further up the lake, but I see people fishing for them, and I am sure they get into them.

As far as "wide open lakes", that area of WFB is very protected from any main water. You could easily fish even in strong winds, without getting a wave over a foot.

lars & MnMongo: Thanks for the information. Great posts. I suppose its human nature to want it all, but I do agree that "fishing adventures" should be about fishing, sleeping, and eating (oh with the occasional brew). Getting away and seeing something new in life is paramount to ammenities.

Hemlock: Great Post. I have been reading your posts for a while now and appreciate the input and intelligent question and conversation. I went to an All-Canada show in Indy bout 3 years ago and was very impressed with the folks at Whitefish Camp. Very professional, knowledable yet very humble. LOTW has always been on my mind ever since I started watching fishing shows as a kid. I will give it am honest thought for the 09 trip.

Any lakes/resorts that should be nixed off the list? Too cold in Sept?

Jamesdean,

Whitefish bay resort would be a good choice for you, I see the owners at a few shows that I attend. They are very nice and plesant people. They were accross from me at the indy show you mentioned above.

Sept. is a great time to be on the water.

Thanks Outfitter!

The link for Happy Landing Lodge is broke...

How has the economy (gas) affected the resorts in Canada? I know that Cumberland and Dale Hollow KY are struggling.

James,

Happy Landing Burned earlier this spring so I don't have it open this year, that is why the link is not working.

Camp Manitou is having it's busiest year in probably 10 years, so I don't see the price affecting people coming up. I just picked up a couple of reservations last week for this fall, so it doesn't seem to be stopping people for booking 2nd trips either.

It is however cutting into the profit marging a bit, buying it at $5.50/gal instead of $3.00.

Have you decided where to go?

Good luck

Whoa sorry to hear about Happy Landing...

Fuel, Food, Steel, Copper, and Brew have increased triple digits in some places. Unreal.

I wont decide for a few weeks or so. I suppose I need to do some more homework.

Any places to that are definite "No-No's"?

Outfitter, you have mail!

General Question for everyone. Do you find that most people drive to the fishing destination OR fly to International Falls and rent a car (then drive to destination).

I am in Indy and to be honest it looks like it might be a bit cheaper to fly and rent a car (sad, huh..)

Oh yeah, I caught a nice 5 1/2-lb LMB on Geist Reservoir (East Indy) on Saturday AM (Hildebrandt White Spinnerbait) First 2 minutes on the water..

I was up at Lac Seul Outpost on the Chamberlin Narrows in late June and had a great trip. It was our fist time there and so it took a little time to get use to the area but once we found the spots we easly caught 100-150 walleyes a day bewteen the three of us.

$10/gallon? I got news for you, the resort was charging about $9/gallon. Other than that, I would recommend it.

$9/gallon? That's a lot. I know resorts have added costs for everything they do, due to their remote locations, but they are making good on gas, I am betting.

We are about $5.15/gallon today in Kenora.

Lac Seul is dotted with many islands, big and small. Many narrows connecting large bays. You would have to spend at least a summer in order to see it all. It is huge. Like any water, watch the weather.

Since I mentioned I was going to Manitou Falls Camp, I thought I would provide a brief update on the trip up there.

The first thing I was shocked at was how high the water was. In certain places, the water was 25-30 feet higher (yes, FEET!) than the last time I was up. In fact, during my stay the water rose another 22".

The water levels made the initial fishing difficult because I couldn't trust any of my old haunts. After a day or two though we had the walleye pattern down, and had tremendous success. I personally boated about ten walleyes over 5lbs., with five being 27" and one being 28". One of the 27" was the heaviest though. I also boated an incredibly fat muskie that was only 43" but came in close to 33lbs.

For those of you who have been up there before and have shot the rapids, you'll be surprised to hear that many/most people were driving straight through instead of taking the curve around the island. That's how high the water is!

Fishing on Johnson was mediocre, but fishing on clear was exceptional and all species were easy to target (like shooting fish in a barrel).

Although we did not make the 45 min. boat drive to Unexpected, many did spend their time down there every day and they were rewarded for the extra travel time with some really nice fish.

The quantities of pike are up, but unfortunately the size noticeably decreased, with a 32" being to largest pike being boated. We only indirectly targeted them while muskie fishing, so my performance doesn't mean there aren't big pike left, just that we didn't boat any monsters.

The crew, led by Karen, treated us very well. If we ran short on something, it was quickly provided. The boats and motors were all well maintained and were a charm for the week.

If the rain continues up there, there might not be much of a camp left. By the time we left the waterline was almost the entire way up to the front cabins. With the volume of water coming out, it was impossible to fish the [PoorWordUsage], which used to account for about a quarter of all our fish boated.

On a scale of 1-10, we were treated like an 11, and I would rate the fishing an 8, once we got away from the flowage.