• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this too much?

Sandmannd

I have been going out every Friday and Sunday for a couple of years. I always take one or two people with me and a lot are from this site. Great to meet people and always nice to have company in the boat.

In the past (last year) I asked that they buy the bait and we are good to go. This year I started to ask people help with gas just because it's getting so high. Well I did my finances this week and I was spending between $500 & $600 a month on gas! mad We just can't afford in my house for me to spend that amount of money anymore. I still want to go out, but what to do. I asked that each that go with me give $25 and I'll buy the bait the night before so we are set. I really hat to ask for money, but it's getting costly to run the boat and truck.

Does anyone else do this? I feel bad to do it cause I just like to take people out with me. But if I have no one going, I just don't go because of the cost. Is this too much? Would you do that? Just looking for advice if I'm a punk or if others are in the same boat so to speak.

ANY time I go out on my friends Sea Ray I toss him $20-30. he doesnt ask and always tries to refuse, but I know that 350 Chev burns a lot of fuel. I also always try to bring extra food and Sodas as well as helping clean up the boat when we are done. I see it as being a good friend.

Sandmannd,

You shouldn't feel bad about asking for gas money. As long as you are upfront with them when you ask them out, neither you nor them should have any harsh reactions. Its like inviting people to your house for a bbq and asking them to bring their own meat and a side to pass. Not too many people balk at that scenerio.

My friends and I have a long standing unspoken agreement that whoever drives pays for the gas and the other person gets the bait, lunch, whatever for the two of them. I suppose now that gas prices have increased quite a bit we will have to modify it so the driver get a little extra compensation but I am sure that will be just fine with us.

Or you can pull the Jeff Foxworthy routine and get them really drunk and stop at every gas station and pretend to fill up your vehicle and demand that they chip in for gas money. After the 4th or 5th gas stop they will begin to think your vehicle has really crappy mileage.... ha ha ha

Be upfront and you shouldn't have any problems...

Redbeard

Dont you feel one bit bad about it. All of us have a different amount of means. Just because one guy doesnt need gas money doesnt mean another doesnt. I know how you feel, you want to do it out of the goodness of your heart but you simply cant. Anyone who says no thanks can then go buy theyself a boat if they wanna fish. After checking boat price and maintenance they will probably call and offer $40. But then be nice and say $25 would be great. If they went 20 times a year with you that would be $500 and that dont buy much of a boat. Good Luck.

Hey Shane,

Don't feel bad about asking for gas money. I have been out with you three or 4 times this summer and had a blast fishing with you every time. $25 is very reasonable for somebody with out a boat to get out on the river/lake. A guy can't even come close to renting a boat/guide for a day for that price.

DT10

Or you can pull the Jeff Foxworthy routine and get them really drunk and stop at every gas station and pretend to fill up your vehicle and demand that they chip in for gas money. After the 4th or 5th gas stop they will begin to think your vehicle has really crappy mileage.... ha ha ha

Now that right there is funny. laugh

Hey Shane,

Don't feel bad about asking for gas money. I have been out with you three or 4 times this summer and had a blast fishing with you every time. $25 is very reasonable for somebody with out a boat to get out on the river/lake. A guy can't even come close to renting a boat/guide for a day for that price.

DT10

Thanks Eric. I'm now where close to a guide, but like I said I enjoy the company. It just comes down to going out fewer times or having folks help out. I know most don't have a problem, I wish I had the money to do it on my own. Gas just sucks!!!!

My patners and I try to be fair with each other. That is we split everything as equal as possible. Gas, bait, food....On long trips we start a kitty and take from that.

BUT, are you able to get on fish! just kiddin big guy. id say get by with it once, maybe. after thatthey would be finding someone else to leach off of. or they can fish from shore. DONT feel bad one eyeota.

We have a long history of splitting everything down the middle. That includes bait, boat gas, car gas, etc. Usually, the person who drives owns the boat and then seldom buys lunch or beer.

The way I do it is > if I ask some one to go I pay, unless it's a long ways away. If I open up to offers and some one wants to go I let them know that "we are fishing we are both splitting costs" usually they just flip me a 20 and buy lunch.

Dont feel bad about it. I go out on Lake Superior every weekend which is getting expensive. There are always guys wanting to go out on the lake, so I tell them up front about the cost and how it would be great if they could throw in $40 for gas. ($40 is way cheaper than getting a 6 hour charter) Nobody has complianed about the gas money yet and its not like I am making any money off the deal. During the month of June I spent $720 just on gas for fishing.

So far this has not been an issue for me. If I go fishing in another guys boat and he pulls up to the landing. Chances are I will (attempt) to fuel the boat. If they get upset, then I dont force the issue.

In My boat if the lake is a long ways off I may ask for some $$$, especialy if you request the lake. If is local and I was going fishing anyways I dont ask or expect $$$, but I dont feed ya.

The way I do it is > if I ask some one to go I pay, unless it's a long ways away. If I open up to offers and some one wants to go I let them know that "we are fishing we are both splitting costs" usually they just flip me a 20 and buy lunch.

I agree a hundred percent on that. If you offer to take someone out for a good time it's on me. What I do is people I know what to go or some from this HSOforum. I setup evite to send out the times I'm going and the first to to say yest get to go. You can go as often as you want. Just started to ask for help with gas. So far everyone thinks is fair.

I should have added I live on the lake so no transportation fuel is required of me only boat fuel.

That does make a huge difference. If I lived on the lake and they were just coming up it would be on me. The gas expense on the boat is less than a third what it is for the truck. Course it would go up cause I'd probably be out there every day!! laugh

I have no problems taking money for gas. Most people will offer. If we didnt use the big motor much I dont take it. If we ran around I will take it. With the price of gas Im not so proud anymore.

As far as bait I pick crawlers and a pound of leeches isnt very expensive around here until Aug. Minnows are cheap too.

Sandmannd, with the price of fuel if they want to fish with you they need to at least offer to pay for the fuel.

I am the same way man, I like to treat everyone, but with the cost of fuel right now and the fixed income I am on I have learned I have to ask for help when I need it.

Most are more than happy to pick up the tab and if they can't afford it that is fine I understand been there, if they can and won't they can find someone else to sponge off of.

Just my 2cents.....

Lynn

I just let people know ahead of time, and there is no problem. They either bring money and show up, or they don't show. Actually, the thing that bugs me more than not paying for gas is when they show up with no pop or water or drink.... grrrrrr... at least pick up a bottle of Coke on your way.

But me and my bro always have drinks, probably some snacks and even gear, because the people who don't show with drinks or gas money are probably not avid anglers, and they simply have no clue what the program is smile So you just need to educate them a bit, and next time they are like a Boy Scout, prepared smile

But yeah, driving a truck and boat a distance (i.e. Mille Lacs, etc.) then it is split gas 100% of the time. I usually go half mile to WBL or BE so gas isn't a big deal for me.

It all depends on where you’re going and who you are bringing etc ... but you should never feel bad for asking for gas, bait or lunch money. There is a guy who takes me ice fishing and we use his drop down house and drive up in his truck. I try and pay for all the gas to get there and back, spilt the bait and try and bring most of the food. To me it is worth it. When it comes to ice fishing and refreshments though he is on his own. I can't afford that!!! laugh

All I do is shore fish dealing with limited access, weeds galore, limited depth options, and more fellow fisherman than I care to rub elbows with. If any of my friends could afford a boat and was willing to take me out AND it fit into our schedules I would no doubt be handing him or her money long before they could think to ask for it. At most your grandparents should be the only people in your life to spoil you; definitely not your friends. Nice of you to take so many people!

Yeah, whenever I take my buddies, they dont help me with gas at all. They dont even offer. Also, if they buy food or sodas at the gas station, they only buy it for themselves and eat and drink in front of me.... Even if they know that I dont have any food, they still dont offer to share any with me.

I guess, this is why I dont take them as much anymore.. What is the point of taking them?