Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckwagon

duluth packs, witch one?

13 posts in this topic

looking to buy a duluth pack .... any suggestions on a brand other than the original pack.

I don't have much experience with official duluth packs. However, after years of camping in the BWCA I've come to really appreciate any pack that has a hip belt attached (like most of the frame packs have). Hauling a lot of gear without a hip pack typically causes you to lean forwards which is a back killer.

For the cheap end, I have been using the Sealine packs. They are completely water tight, and great size for the money. They used to run like $70. They have durability issues. They are simply rubberized canvas so will leak over time or when scraped on rocks.

If I were going to buy one today, Granite Gear is the only way I'd go. Go with the Immersion which is completely water tight when sealed properly. These run around $260 but I know people who have them and swear by them.

I don't like having to use those plastic liners to make sure my gear stays dry is the pack takes a wave or gets dropped in a puddle or you get caught in a heavy rain. I want dry gear without having to hassle with the plastic liners.

You might want to look into Cooke Custom Sewing on the net. Quality stuff and they are made right here in the greater metro.

Dan's a great guy and I'm sure you would be happy with any of the products that he makes.

Chuck, I plan on getting at least one new portage pack in the next year and the two styles I am trying to decide on is the Granite gear packs and the Cooke Custom Sewing ones. CCS has the best design and I used it on a trip where I let the outfitter pack all my gear. GG has a similar design but a different top.

Based on price I'm leaning towards CCS. They've got a ton of great products on there site. Check out some of the outfitters around the BWCA they start selling their outfitter gear at used prices.

Red Rock store Red Rock Store is one near ELy. I know they had a portage pack for sale in their used gear section just couple weeks ago. They are also a sponsor of our awesome site.

I have two CCS packs on food pack and a large portage pack. The food pack has many, many trips on it and is in great condition. The portage pack probably only has 8 trips on it and still looks like new. CCS really makes great durable packs. I like to think I am a bit of a traditionlist. I still have and use many old style pack but as I get older everything I purchase has a hip belt and the shoulder harness.

Check out Granite Gear packs. They are made in MN and are the absolute best.

LB

Check out Kondos Packs. They are made right outside of Ely. Kondos Packs are made extremely well. There are a number of options available on their canoe packs. If you google Kondos you can check out their web site.

I have my own 3-Pocket Guide Pack and use an Outfitter Expidition for work. Each is a great pack.

I also have a Cabela's Boundary Waters II Large Back Pack. For the price they are a really good dry pack.

Another vote for CCS here- I've had 2 #4's for 4 years and several trips.

I must confess if I had the money I buy real Duluth-brand Duluth packs tho.

I've always gone with just the simple canvas and leather Duluth packs, which have served me very well over the years. I guess I might have to look into Kondos for my packs in the future. While I still prefer canvas, I've had excellent performance from Kondos in regards to their harnesses they make for sled dogs and I'd imagine the same quality would be in the packs.

Another vote for Kondos packs. I've got several, and they have held up and performed extremely well. Jackpine Jr. got his own for his 16th birthday, and is well pleased.

Sealine bags are good for lighter things like tents, sleeping bags and other stuff you really, really, really want to keep dry. I've got a big honker (the Grand Portage 3.5) that we refer to as The Green Monster, and we use that one on canoe trips. The smaller version I use as a glorified day pack, to store rain gear, extra clothes, etc.

thanks guys i piked up a couple granite gear #4s for me and the wife! just got back from trails end. they worked out great, thanks for the input! the packs are condura not the heavy canvas but seems just a strong!

I have Duluth Pacs that I have had since I was about 13 years old. Im 42 now. Still work great. Anything that takes that kind of abuse and still keeps working for that long is well worth the money to me.

For about 10 years I was taking groups of kids in the BWCA 5-8 times a summer and these things got used a lot. More like abused. LOL. Not like they saw 1 easy trip a year.

LOts of good gear out there but I like to keep my neighbors in jobs so I try and buy local when I can.