• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who you lookin' at?

I spent an afternoon at the deer shack at my folks, and took a walk with the camera yesterday afternoon.

I first ran into a flock of young grouse chicks and they were gone before I even realized what they were. I stopped and peered into the brush until I realized mom was still there and watching me, from about 8 feet away. She doesn't look very happy:

Balsam-1.jpg

Then I headed down to a lowland area, trying to keep an eye out for whatever plants might be there. I got the feeling something was looking at me, and sure enough, caught a glimpse of red through the brush:

Balsam-4.jpg

HE (you can barely see the nubs) was only about 40 feet away and let me get one burst of three shots off before he turned and bolted.

Got a lot of other stuff, too, but pretty generic. All in all it was a good day!

Great shot of the unhappy grouse mama! My wife and I were in Glacier backpacking years ago and she was attacked twice in two days by upset grouse protecting chicks.