• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rope lights for follows at night

I purchased a rope light for ice fishing and have found that it can be clipped under the edge of the side of my boat to light up the water for follows.

First of all, is this legal? I know you can't use light to attract fish but I am using it to see follows and to prevent myself from reeling my leader into my guides. I don't want to get myself into trouble.

Secondly, do you think this will deter a following fish from striking or even coming near the boat? I have tried headlamps before with minimal success (maybe I bought cheap ones), so I thought this might be a solution.

I was hoping to try it out again tonight but the thunder doesn't seem to be slowing down!

I would be very surprised if anybody would question that you were trying to attract fish. You see rope lights on sailboats, and crusiers all the time. I think it is a good idea. Might be good to ask a CO, but even if by some stroke of bad luck you got a tickie, that is one I would fight, and I bet you would win.

Good luck,

I decked out my portable ice house last winter with LED lights I ordered from 'belas under the marine section: interior lights. I do not have the regs here, but that should be legal.

You could easily zip strip a rope and use alligator clips to run off a 12v battery, like we use ice fishing, or clip to the deep cycle(s). Very minimal draw.

I also mounted flush mount lights to the sled, so one could do the same on the interior of the boat. Search online and there are a few places that have full interior packages. Lazt man's approach... zip tie a rope and clip to the 12v and you're set.

attract fish aside... what about nav. light rules? would it have to be red on the port side and green on the starboard side while in motion, under power from the electric? would it be legal to display other than white at the stern? for that matter is it even safe? i remember hearing something about lights other than nav colors needing to be above a certain distance above the waterline in relation to the watercrafts topsides distance's , or hidden from view when the light itself is staionairy or affixed. probably a good question to ask the coast gaurd i'd say. but i would say that if the light was green on the starboard side, why not?

I did think about making it permanent in my boat... but I'd use black light instead of white or colored... I was going to make it permanent inside and outside of the boat... I know there are several websites that sells something like this but I cant think of it right now... google it and see what you can find...