• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Bedding Areas

Bear55

Does anyone have any tips on where to find a bucks bedding area. I was scouting hard all spring/early summer and they are hard to identify. I know the basics like thick cover and swamps but if anyone can go into more detail that would be helpful.

This time of year I have found bucks bedding either close to water or food. doesn't have to be the thickest of cover but some where that will provide shade. I actually seen two bucks bedded in the alfalfa on my trail cam.

Bear55, no offense, but You're asking the 64 Billion dollar question! If we had a great answer we'd have a lot more racks on the wall! The best way to get close to finding a buck's "core" bedding area (the one he most often uses) is to find an area with lots of rubbed trees close together. Not a rub line where there are rubs every 30 yards or so marking a travel route, but 10 or more rubs on trees within a 20 square yard area or less. The only other thing to give information about a buck's bedding area is the accumulation of big buck sightings in a specific area. When you see a deer in an alfalfa field bedded down, it's probably because it just finished eating and has laid down to chew it's cud.

My only suggestion is to put in some serious boot time, and just keep looking. I was lucky enough to stumble onto one early last year and when I did find it, it was pretty obvious I was in a good buck's bedroom. I was looking for a doe that had been hit the previous day. After finding the end of the blood trail, we had started circling the area, which happened to be at the edge of a alder swamp/thicket with a small creek running through it. As I made my numerous circles there was one really thick are that we seemed to just keep walking around because of the density of the brush etc in that spot. Finally, I decided that I wanted to take a better look inside that little thicket and much to my surprise, after 30 - 40 feet of the thickest nastiest stuff, it opened up into some nice little open areas. From the size of the beds in this spot and the sheer number of rubs, I was pretty certain it was a core area for a good buck. I waited until November 2 to hunt a stand just 50 yards from that spot and harvested a nice wide 154" buck. I dont know for sure that he was the guy that lived there, but he came right from the area of the thicket when I grunted him in.

Thanks for the info guys. Fishermn that is a great story and exactly what I was looking for. I know there isn't one answer but if we can all share a little info it might help someone locate a nice buck. I have been doing a lot of scouting lately and I think I might have found a couple of areas. One was a very small patch of high ground surrouded by a swamp, another was a thick ravine that was loaded with deadfalls. Both areas were difficult to access and had several nice sized rubs (last years) in a small area.