• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Explorer 1800 Tiller?

bus33

I am getting ready to purchase a new rig and need some advice. I have always had tillers but in the small 25 hp range. I am dealing on a 05 lund explorer 1800 and want to put a 90 hp merc on it.

My concern, since I have never handled a big tiller, is do the newer boats/tillers wear you out? Will I feel like I am horseing a big motor around when troller or running across the lake?

What are the pros and cons between tillers and consoles?

Thanks from a newbie on this site.

I have never driven a big tiller, but I do know people who have and they have never complained about it being hard. Even when fishing all day. I know that hydraulic steering as an option on them.

As far as pro's and con's of tillers vs. counsoles, if all you will do in the boat is fish, then tillers are the way to go, better boat contorl and more room, but you will get a little wetter not have that windsheild to duck behind. If you want to do any skiing or tubing, steering wheels and a windsheilds are nice, they also come in handy in long runs on big water...

I have an 18 foot PT Alumacraft with a 70 hp Suzuki Tiller (4 stk) - and I am surprised at how gentle it is. Of course, I do NOT have a SS prop, and I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

My friends older 75 TIller (early 90's) is much more torquey - although he runs a SS prop. I'm not that experienced with this to know if that makes a difference or not.

I love my big Tiller - everything is within reach and my two kids (age 20 and 15) LOVE the space to spread out when they are fishing....

Good luck on your purchase. Keep us informed.

Thanks for the reply. This will be strictly a fishing boat. We have a pleasure boat in the family that is used for tubing, ect.

The points you brought up are pretty standard from what I have been hearing. Boat control and room in the boat are the two biggest pros I have come up with.

Thanks again

bus33 I never have any problems running my tiller until I get on big water with big waves and if you have to fight the waves it can get tiring if you have a couple of miles. I am running a 60 Yamaha 4 stroke on a 1660 Pro V and my brother runs a 75 Merc on a 1775 Pro V and it is the 4 to 6 foot waves that you have to run at a angle instead of north and south that make you wish you had a steering wheel but unless I win the lottery I will never change.

I have an 18' explorer w/ a 4 stk 75 yamaha tiller and have no complaints. If you trim it up once your on plane it steers fairly easily. The extra room is great and I can troll down and fish just about any way I want to. Most of the time your running to your spot w/ the big motor but I still find myself doing a fair amount of backtrolling w/ the big motor on windy days. If it's just for fishing,Go tiller you won't regret it.

redhooks

I run a 90hp tiller and have never noticed any significant fatigue on long runs (30 minutes or more). I think a wheel boat might be more comfortable for those trips, but a tiller give you more fishing room. It's really all about what you want out of your boat.

From my experience you will LOVE a big tiller boat . I have had an 1890 PRO V , and 2 -2025 PRO V's and a Pro Angler 18 , ALL with tillers . from 90 hp to 125 hp , and none with the power steering assist . They are NO problem to handle , even for an old guy like me [67] plus you have ton's of space in the boat to move around or for your dog to lounge . You WILL get wet on windy days if you have to tack , but that is a small price to pay for the bonuses of tiller boats . They sell rain suits at the sporting stores . GO for it ...

Bud

I am with Budman; I have run several big tiller and it is not very fatigueing. In big waves I put the handle up against my knee. You get wet in a tiller, but like someone else said...it is worth it for fishability. I love to backtroll!!

Extreme is right, I used to run a big tiller and you get wetter then with a console in rough conditions. You do however have alot of extra fishing room with the tiller. I don't see you having any problems with a 90 merc.

good luck on the purchase.