Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishin58

Stand Up Guy

97 posts in this topic

How do they keep getting away with this?

Rove ignores subpoena, refuses to testify

Former White house chief of staff could face contempt charges as a result

The Associated Press

updated 11:32 a.m. CT, Thurs., July. 10, 2008

WASHINGTON - Former White House adviser Karl Rove defied a congressional subpoena and refused to testify Thursday about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department, including whether he influenced the prosecution of a former Democratic governor of Alabama.

Rep. Linda Sanchez, chairman of a House subcommittee, ruled with backing from fellow Democrats on the panel that Rove was breaking the law by refusing to cooperate — perhaps the first step toward holding him in contempt of Congress.

Lawmakers subpoenaed Rove in May in an effort to force him to talk about whether he played a role in prosecutors' decisions to pursue cases against Democrats, such as former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman, or in firing federal prosecutors considered disloyal to the Bush administration.

Rove had been scheduled to appear at the House Judiciary subcommittee hearing Thursday morning. A placard with his name sat in front of an empty chair at the witness table, with a handful of protesters behind it calling for Rove to be arrested.

Possible contempt charge

A decision on whether to pursue contempt charges now goes to the full Judiciary Committee and ultimately to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

House Republicans called Thursday's proceedings a political stunt and said if Democrats truly wanted information they would take Rove up on an offer he made to discuss the matter informally.

The House already has voted to hold two of President Bush's confidants in contempt for failing to cooperate with its inquiry into whether the administration fired nine federal prosecutors in 2006 for political reasons.

The case, involving White House chief of staff Josh Bolten and former White House counsel Harriet Miers, is in federal court and may not be resolved before Bush's term ends in January.

The White House has cited executive privilege, arguing that internal administration communications are confidential and that Congress cannot compel officials to testify.

Rove says he is bound to follow the White House's guidance, although he has offered to answer questions specifically on the Siegelman case — but only with no transcript taken and not under oath.

Democrats have rejected the offer because the testimony would not be sworn and, they say, could create a confusing record.

Rove has insisted publicly that he never tried to influence Justice Department decisions and was not even aware of the Siegelman prosecution until it landed in the news.

Siegelman — an unusually successful Democrat in a heavily Republican state — was charged with accepting and concealing a contribution to his campaign to start a state education lottery, in exchange for appointing a hospital executive to a regulatory board.

He was sentenced last year to more than seven years in prison but was released in March when a federal appeals court ruled Siegelman had raised "substantial questions of fact and law" in his appeal.

Siegelman and others have alleged the prosecution was pushed by GOP operatives — including Rove, a longtime Texas strategist who was heavily involved in Alabama politics before working at the White House. A former Republican campaign volunteer from Alabama told congressional attorneys last year that she overheard conversations suggesting that Rove pressed Justice officials in Washington to prosecute Siegelman.

The career prosecutors who handled Siegelman's case have insisted that Rove had nothing to do with it, emphasizing that the former governor was convicted by a jury.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This stuff has been going on since 2001. It will come out, the public will know soon what has been and is going on !

This stuff has been going on since 2001. It will come out, the public will know soon what has been and is going on !

2001?? this stuff has been going on since as long as i can remember. this do nothing, 9% approval, congress has held more investigations than any other congress in my lifetime. not simply oversight. more hearings and investigations with nothing to show for it.

conempt of congress. rofl. 90 some percent of the public has contempt for congress. rofl

its an election year crazy

Trolling Obamas, now trolling Roves grin

(still laughing at that one gunflint)

I have a Deep Diving Clinton and a Jointed Lewinski I should try. I've heard those have worked well in the past.

I have a Deep Diving Clinton and a Jointed Lewinski I should try. I've heard those have worked well in the past.

Which topics are "trolling" and which ones arent?? Is it just the ones that make republicans look bad and liberals look good??

If I posted a this topic and titled it "Rove is getting raw deal from congress", would it still be trollin'? im just curiouse, cause that word gets thrown around an awful lot. Is anything not outdoors related trolling?

Oh yeah, Rove is a lying you know what, and he should be investigated!

Originally Posted By: dtro

Which topics are "trolling" and which ones arent?? Is it just the ones that make republicans look bad and liberals look good??

If I posted a this topic and titled it "Rove is getting raw deal from congress", would it still be trollin'? im just curiouse, cause that word gets thrown around an awful lot. Is anything not outdoors related trolling?

"rove is getting raw deal from congress." if there was an article that said that, well, he would be right in line with the rest of us laugh

yaaawwwwnnn. controversy in DC? unheard of

i think this is nothing more than the of clashing of the huge egos in DC

Lighten up Francis grin

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

see here for ontopic discussion smile

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...les_#Post431399

Originally Posted By: petepeters

Lighten up Francis grin

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

YES!! IT WORKED!! laughlaugh Ms dtro

I dont see wher his statement was Trolling. Looks to me he started a topic and didnt interupt another subject. By throwing out the word trolling was it meant to stop a subject ot interupt it and wouldnt that be trolling

I dont see wher his statement was Trolling. Looks to me he started a topic and didnt interupt another subject. By throwing out the word trolling was it meant to stop a subject ot interupt it and wouldnt that be trolling

to think it was just last week that i learned what trolling is as it relates to computers. God, im getting old

dtro,

I might be interested in trying that double jointed Lewinski. smile

Does it come in Perch?

Same here, Still have not figured it out yet. Proably never will being I'm so inocent and matters like this grin

Look, I never said any post was "trolling" I was merely referring to gunflints post that made me laugh the other day.

jeesh you guys.......lighten up

for Petie,

The quote "Lighten up Francis" is from a classic comedy, I wasn't calling anyone out. You can continue to name call, you won't hurt my feelings grin

Gunflint: The double jointed version has been discontinued and replaced with the Super Magnum

Where has all the fun gone in the world?

KARL ROVE IS THE DEVIL!!!!

gringrin

I just posted it here cuz its the place to put it. I just cannot believe how they can flat out lie. There is just something wrong with that picture and how Bush has surrounded himself with such criminals. Anybody have the official count of how many cronies have or will be sent to prison?

They keep getting away with this because this congress has no back bone. I hate to say this, being I'm a demcrat, They use these as hearings as political tools with no teeth. I'm sure most of us are know this adminastration is hidding something and congres just dances around pounding there chest then retreats when it comes to doing something about it. IMO that is one of the reasons there aproval rating is so bad.

I feel your fustration, I dont think its how many cronies are going to prison but how many scapegoats are.

I only hope this congress is stalling with all these hearings untill Bush is out then they get their teeth back without worring Bush is just going to pardon them

Does anyone have a count on how many criminals Clinton released for cash? What difference does it make?

dtro,

Does it come in Perch?

Nope, only cigar color! laugh

Does anyone have a count on how many criminals Clinton released for cash? What difference does it make?

The difference is, Bush is a lying sack of dog....... and clinton was an outstanding president.

Originally Posted By: gunflint
dtro,

Does it come in Perch?

Nope, only cigar color! laugh

I hear stained blouses make prety good frills on the double jointed lewinski.

sorry if that was to much

The difference is, Bush is a lying sack of dog....... and clinton was an outstanding president.

LOL, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman......Miss. Lewinski" grin

It's so funny.......it really is smile

Like I have always said, he was just serving one American at a time. You guys just have to wait!