• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Hand Tools

gunflint

Does anyone have any experience with "Northern" wrenches and sockets? I've had to outfit a new tool chest and have done so with Snap-on air tools and cordless drills and impacts but I need complete sets of wrenches and sockets and I can't see buying "Off The Truck" for what they're asking for one set I can get a complete set of everything at Northern and a lifetime warranty. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I think you get what you pay for with tools. I have a few northern tools for stuff I don't use often. Seems alright.

Craftsmen hand tools are alright too. I think they are made in China, including Northern.

I have burned out way too many Craftsman "power" tools to even buy them anymore, but these are in line with the chaper lines of all tools. They seem to be made more for "DIYers" then anyone who will use them often. If this fits your use, I say go for it. Just remember that it is cheaper to buy one good tool, the 2 poor tools.

A set of Snap-On sockets can start at $200 a set of Northerns at about $21. (that's for about 10 sockets) I can't believe Snap-On's are 10 times better. Power tools and air tools are a whole other matter.

You might think so if you are working in tight quarters and one of those cheaper sockets snap or strip and you take a chunk of skin out of your knuckle. Or worse round off a bolt or nut.