• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkey Vulture's...

Catmendo

The turkey vulture has never been on my favorite's bird list. However, after yesterday's experience I have to admit that I now have a much greater appreciation for these graceful and magestic flyers.

As I was walking along a deserted beach, suddenly a dozen vultures broke onto the scene. The wind was coming directly off the lake and these incredably graceful aviators were taken full advantage by tacking back and forth along the entire two mile's of beach in search of an easy meal. They could care less about my presence and made no bones about hanging directly above me for what seemed like minutes at a time. (maybe they were sizing me up! :()

297_9716-1.jpg

297_9719-1.jpg

The turkey vultures aren't the only show in town when it comes to taking advanatge of an easy meal. Here's a herring gull dining on what appears to be the remains of a common carp that had washed up onto the shore. It's safe to say that gulls don't miss to many of these opportunities when they are presented.

297_9779.jpg

Last but least, the golden eagle is another opportunistic creature that is always in search of a meal. As you can see, this capture was taken under extremely low light conditions. None the less the silouette of this goldy is still presentable.

298_9831.jpg

Those bird are strangely magnificent. We watch them 'kettle' from our front window here at the firehouse every evening 'bout sundown. Close to a hundred roost on a cell tower here in town.

Stu, You should probably get ready for some more dead carp soon. There was a fish Kill south of Fargo were several thousand dead carp were found floating up the river.

Nice Pics by the way.