Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooter

When do they stop growing?

17 posts in this topic

Just wondering when I can expect my lab pup to stop growing - not weight but leg and body length. Thanks.

my dog was done growing height wise around 14 months, and then filled out until about 2 years old.

Geez Louis - I'm gonna have a monster on my hands....

Geez Louis - I'm gonna have a monster on my hands....

Cooter,

Our great dane was 38lbs at 11.5 weeks, 49lbs at 13.5 weeks. He's 15 weeks now--we'll see what he weighs Thursday when he gets his rabies shot. 7 cups of food a day cry I've already got a monster on my hands grin

Goodness gracious, mines just a little fart compared to that!

Kind of in disagreement here. With a lab, you'll have a pretty good size guide by 6 months. May see an inch or so in height and couple inches of length. Always tell our customers to look at their 6 month old and add 15-20 pounds and that will be your dog. Obviously, there are anomalies but you should be safe with my estimate. Have an 65 pound 11 year old right now. Just let her free feed for the next couple months and she would probably bump up against the century mark. Show me a lab that doesn't love to eat and I'll direct you to the nearest vet.

I agree with that especially with females. My females were usuually about done growing height wise by six months. they put a few pounds on in the next couple months so I'd say by 8-12 months my females were close to max working size that they were going to get. My males seem to grow height wise up to about 8-9 months but put on a bit a of weight up to 2 years. Bit of weight meaning maybe 10-15 lbs or so.

My female pup is closing on 6 months, and height wise she seems like a shrimp to me. She's 42 pounds and seems miniature height wise. Should we open up the pantry and see if we can grow her out? We've been going with about 4 cups a day, and she is in good condition, not too skinny and not overweight.

An anomaly to the 6 month comments perhaps?

6 months seems awful early. I would think shes got a bit of growing left to do.

6 1/2 months and not even close to done yet. 12 cups a day. I'm guessing he weighs about 110-120 right now. For reference, I'm 6'2" 230.

Images023.jpg

12 cups (of food) per day?

Yup! And you can still see his ribs. He should slow down and ease up on the food consumption in the next 6 months.

OK, how big is that thing going to get? Is that a bloodhound?

He's a Great Dane. I'm guessing he'll be 36"-38" at the withers and probably 170-190 pounds when all is said and done.

That is awesome. From your avatar, he really looked like a bloodhound. And to quote from Jaws..."You're gonna need a bigger boat" laugh

That is awesome. From your avatar, he really looked like a bloodhound. And to quote from Jaws..."You're gonna need a bigger boat" laugh

Yes, he has grown into his ears a bit since I took that photo smile And I now have a bigger boat, although that just gives him more room to make trouble. He broke my bilge pump switch on Saturday frown

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Way to go team!! I sure took the avg score down with my jake
    • nice story, fishing has a way of easing the pains we have. even when we hurt like crazy when done for the day we are looking forward to the next outing.
    • way to go, guys yep, the toms not about to give up even though its close to closing time have seen several strutters the past couple weeks and heard gobbles yesterday while fishing
    • great job. makes it 5 for 5 for team 5 congrats on a nice tom, 57 and that willl give our team score a boost
    • One More Cast      Photo by:  Roger Abraham   If any of you out there are regular readers of my tales, you have followed my recent struggles with back and knees.  I can’t put a name to this drive I have to be on the stream as of late.  It borders on obsession. I guess in my mind if I am healthy enough to fish the world is right with me and I am not getting old and feeble.      Today I was a witness to that I am not the only one.  Lots of anglers and hunters live to go out into the outdoors. .  It is what drives them.  It makes them feel alive.  It is their passion.  I told my fishing buddy Abe today my thoughts.  I told him how I was feeling a little old.  I guess my 60th birthday coming up next month makes me feel mortal.  Abe laughed and said I was a young buck compared to him.  Abe turns 76 this year.     Abe told me tales about catching big trout in tiny streams in Wisconsin and out west.  The twinkle in his eye when he reminisced I had seen before in many trout anglers.      We fished a stretch for 2 hours.  I sat down and rested often.  Abe kept on fishing. He got hung up in a box elder branch and lost a lure.  Abe told me box elders trees were his nemesis when he fished.   He asked me which tree was my kryptonite.  I told him, "ones with branches."  We both had a chuckle and continued fishing.   I thought to myself this guy is really driven.  I hope I am like him at 76.     We got to the vehicle and Abe wanted to continue fishing.  Abe’s waders sprang a leak earlier and he fell in the water a couple times.  He was quite wet.  He wanted to change in to dry clothes before we continue.  Abe peeled off his wet shirt and there were two things stuck to his chest.  He could tell by my questioning look he needed to tell me what was up.     Abe told me he had been having heart problems lately and he was supposed to be wearing a heart monitor.  He left it in the car because he was afraid of getting the electronics wet.  Here I have been whining about being old and the guy I was fishing with left his heart monitor in his vehicle.      Abe reassured me that he was in no danger and he could continue fishing.  I started brainstorming on a place to fish where it was not so hard walking.  Now that I knew he was not as healthy as he looked I wanted an easy place to fish.  I knew the place and it was upstream 5 miles.     We arrived at the well manicured field.  It looked like a golf green.  I picked the area because the farmer kept sheep and goats on the land and the weeds and brush were gone because of the goats.  We walked and fished.     Abe told tales of the old days and of fish lost and landed.  I walked a little forward to fish and looked back to check up on Abe.  What I saw when I looked back scared me and I immediately asked Abe if he was ok.  Abe was laying flat on the ground face down.  I thought the worst and he could tell by my face.  He told me to calm down.  His back was acting up and he needed to straight it out and that was the best way to do it.   We fished a little bit more and he took a photo of me.  He liked the lighting. He told me it captured the essence of trout fishing.  He did not have a camera.  I let him use mine.  He was not camera savvy and needed an impromptu lesson on how to use it.   We drove to his car and we talked about our love of the outdoors. We shook hands and headed our separate ways and promised to fish again soon.  As I drove home I smiled and thought about how I am going to be when I am 76.  I hope I am like Abe and my eyes still twinkle when I talk of chasing trout and I am still driven to make one more cast.
    • The past week has had me having multiple close calls and missing a brute at 45 yards.  Tonight I talked my dad to give it another try and there were birds in the field when we got there.  Birds ended up leaving as we tried to sneak in.  A short 20 minutes later they were back and we watched and worked the big group of toms and hens for more than 2 hours before we got one to commit.  Dad shot him with his 20 gauge at 48 yards,(this thing shoots an awesome pattern).  The 3 year old was down and only flopped a few times.   Nice 1+ inch spurs, 10" beard and heavy.  A good evening for sure!
    • Sorry to disappoint guys, but this tom was not my first bird of the season. Apparently that's part of the rules. The score won't count towards the team. I don't have any measurements for the jake I shot so we will have a zero from me.    At least my freezer is full. 
    • Way to  go 1957 !! Congrats!!
  • Our Sponsors