Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

How to create an @mention - Click Here   07/16/2015

You can use the @mention aspect whenever you want someone to be notified about a post or let them know you are talking about them. Type the @ symbol type in a couple "lowercase" letters pause then once the names pop-up either select or keep typing in letters to narrow down the list until you get the @mention name you are looking for. You can play a game so members can see how it works. If you want to practice or If your name has been @mentioned below you should see it in your notifications (upper right) and you then have to @mention one or two members who haven't been mentioned inthe comments section below. Let's see how long we can keep this going. Anyone who duplicates a name that has already been @mentioned loses. This is the first group to be @mentioned to get the ball rolling: @Borch @Scott K @Corey Bechtold @Matt Johnson @mrklean @eyeguy 54 @Finns @IceHawk @MarkB @Cliff Wagenbach @Wayne Ek
Sign in to follow this  
Doop

Pike Fishing in Alaska

I believe it's a lake near Willmar, Alaska (Alexander Lake) that is loaded with very large northern pike? Never been to Alaska...but I would love to take a trip to do some tip up fishing for these toothy critters. Would this lake be a good bet or are there better lakes available?

Yeah I actually saw that already....how in the world would you even get to that lake? Looking on google I don't see a road anywhere near it!? lol

I'd love to get up there and try it before all the pike are seined out or killed off.

Bush pilot, dog musher, or snowmachine. That's one thing I love about that state. Its not just a trip, its an adventure.

I'm sure Fishermann has a good idea of who to check with but just start surfing. You've chosen your destination - that's the hard part. Now you just have to figure out the logistics.

Doop,

Are you really in TX? Thats a long way from the BW and Alaska. How many times do you make it up to MN in a year?

Yes sir...I am in TX. I moved down here 5 years ago with every intention of moving back (that's what I told my girlfriend now wife) smile We have 3 more years down here and then I'll get my way and we can move back north. Good lord I can't wait!

I make it up north 1 or 2 times a year. Not even remotely enough....that's for sure. I'd really like to Alaska for some big pike action but making it affordable on a teacher's salary can be difficult.

Fishermann...any thoughts of getting to Alexander Lake?

Cool.... Yeah, this area is hard to get out of your soul. Alaska is the only other place I have a desire to live in besides Ely.

I've committed myself to staying near the cities for another 8-10 years myself, but then who knows.

That article mentioned Rust's flying services and possibly another operator in the area. As far as I know, Rust's has had a good reputation up there for some time. My bet is they could answer many of your questions. Just a thought.

I don't know what the costs are these days but my hunch is you might be able to pull off a week or so up there for around 2K.

Good luck on your search.

Hey Doop if your a teacher you moved to the wrong state, move to Alaska NOT Texas. Thats what I did smile

I do not know who would fly you in there, or who would get you there by boat. I would do a search of fishing outfitters including Alexander lake.

What you will also want to look into if your looking at going up to Alaska is flying out to the lower Yukon. The pike fishing there is the best in the state as far as size. The guys who float it in the fall for moose always catch a few 40 inchers and there are bigger ones there as well.

I think there is one guide by boat up that way where you could fly into the village by bush plane and meet up with him, and the other thing to do would be to fly out with a guy named Wade Renfro out of Bethel on floats and rent a raft and float the lower yukon for pike fishing.

If your at all interested in the lower Yukon i will talk to Wade when i get back and see what his prices are at now days, but i am guessing it would run around 3-4K for the flights and gear.

Alexander lake you could do for a bit cheaper i bet as you would be flying out of Lake Hood in Anchorage.

My last piece of Advice Doop, is move out of that small state of Texas and move to Alaska to get a teaching job, i have and will never look back.

You could really tick off those people in Texas if you split Alaska in 2. That would make Texas the 3rd largest state in stead of the 2nd.

LOL...thanks guys. Out of curiosity...what is the base pay at in Alaska for teachers? My district is at $45,000 right now.

I would move today if my wife said lets go.