Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doop

Pike Fishing in Alaska

11 posts in this topic

I believe it's a lake near Willmar, Alaska (Alexander Lake) that is loaded with very large northern pike? Never been to Alaska...but I would love to take a trip to do some tip up fishing for these toothy critters. Would this lake be a good bet or are there better lakes available?

What do you do when you get dealt pike? Make pike-ade.

Sounds like the place to go for pike fishing of a lifetime.

Yeah I actually saw that already....how in the world would you even get to that lake? Looking on google I don't see a road anywhere near it!? lol

I'd love to get up there and try it before all the pike are seined out or killed off.

Bush pilot, dog musher, or snowmachine. That's one thing I love about that state. Its not just a trip, its an adventure.

I'm sure Fishermann has a good idea of who to check with but just start surfing. You've chosen your destination - that's the hard part. Now you just have to figure out the logistics.

Doop,

Are you really in TX? Thats a long way from the BW and Alaska. How many times do you make it up to MN in a year?

Yes sir...I am in TX. I moved down here 5 years ago with every intention of moving back (that's what I told my girlfriend now wife) smile We have 3 more years down here and then I'll get my way and we can move back north. Good lord I can't wait!

I make it up north 1 or 2 times a year. Not even remotely enough....that's for sure. I'd really like to Alaska for some big pike action but making it affordable on a teacher's salary can be difficult.

Fishermann...any thoughts of getting to Alexander Lake?

Cool.... Yeah, this area is hard to get out of your soul. Alaska is the only other place I have a desire to live in besides Ely.

I've committed myself to staying near the cities for another 8-10 years myself, but then who knows.

That article mentioned Rust's flying services and possibly another operator in the area. As far as I know, Rust's has had a good reputation up there for some time. My bet is they could answer many of your questions. Just a thought.

I don't know what the costs are these days but my hunch is you might be able to pull off a week or so up there for around 2K.

Good luck on your search.

Hey Doop if your a teacher you moved to the wrong state, move to Alaska NOT Texas. Thats what I did smile

I do not know who would fly you in there, or who would get you there by boat. I would do a search of fishing outfitters including Alexander lake.

What you will also want to look into if your looking at going up to Alaska is flying out to the lower Yukon. The pike fishing there is the best in the state as far as size. The guys who float it in the fall for moose always catch a few 40 inchers and there are bigger ones there as well.

I think there is one guide by boat up that way where you could fly into the village by bush plane and meet up with him, and the other thing to do would be to fly out with a guy named Wade Renfro out of Bethel on floats and rent a raft and float the lower yukon for pike fishing.

If your at all interested in the lower Yukon i will talk to Wade when i get back and see what his prices are at now days, but i am guessing it would run around 3-4K for the flights and gear.

Alexander lake you could do for a bit cheaper i bet as you would be flying out of Lake Hood in Anchorage.

My last piece of Advice Doop, is move out of that small state of Texas and move to Alaska to get a teaching job, i have and will never look back.

You could really tick off those people in Texas if you split Alaska in 2. That would make Texas the 3rd largest state in stead of the 2nd.

LOL...thanks guys. Out of curiosity...what is the base pay at in Alaska for teachers? My district is at $45,000 right now.

I would move today if my wife said lets go.

Doop is your wife a teacher also? Send me an email and i will give ya some info and things to look into. fishermann222@yahoo.com

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BB, I cant say I disagree with any of those observations. They didn't produce when it counts. That is what really matters, but it isn't the first time that teams excel in the regular season and flop come playoff time and it certainly isn't something that is isolated to the Wild. The Hawks get some slack because they have won 3 cups in the last 7 years, but fact is they have been bounced in the last 2 1st rounds too. By that, they are no better than us. We will see what happens to the Caps. They have a tough draw with the Pens this round, but its not a stretch to say they will get bounced 2 years in a row and be the Presidents Cup winner. Lots of teams have that issue. Anaheim has had that tendency too. Playoffs are a whole different animal. The team makeup that works in the regular season usually doesn't translate well in the playoffs. I agree the Wild need more beef. Staal certainly helped, but they are far from a heavy team especially on the back end with our D. Early on I thought we had one of the deepest D corps in the league. Looking at them in this playoff series they looked weak. We needed a guy like Folin to step in and play some minutes and make a difference, but he was shell-shocked in his first playoff game. I don't think we have much help in that area in Iowa either. The heaviest guy we have Seeler, is a liability big time and I don't know if he will ever make it up to the big club.
    • You can pre-order on a Japanese web site ... i almost did but got spooked out with all the Japanese language and had no idea how to translate and know what shipping and price was LOL     i want one but will wait!!!  so many lures and not enough time
    • Wow .. Sprinkler!!  Wonder where and when we can get one!!
    • Thanks for the advice guys...keep it coming!   Much appreciated before I make a pretty expensive investment.   Ref
    •   I stated they are better than 3/4 yrs ago compared to themselves...my point is the Wild are far from a top tier top 8 team when it counts come playoff playoff time...period...no arguing what just happened.  BB was very vocal in the Presser..."we need to get Bigger/Stronger" and Fletch missed that boat time and time again. Career Years are great personal stats...am I happy for Granlund, Staal, Nino...yes...but personal stats only gets you more personal $$, but if those stats don't translate into team goals they are all for naught....and every NHL Player will tell you that. They did exceed my reg season projection but their true colors showed losing in the first round so over all I was spot on  IMO this team will be missing more than one of these "career year" guys by the start of the new season if BB has more say...and I am getting the feeling he will be getting more say on personel.
    • We just got shut out down by Caledonia also so don't feel bad and we've been turkey hunting since 1980.  We were on private land also but found the birds still flocked up.  We had flocks of 12 - 15 birds we were trying to work and it didn't work.  2 out of 3 could have shot jakes and we all had plays that just did not work out.  That's turkey hunting.
    • I have mapped but never submitted it to be processed. However I have downloaded maps from insight and used them. They work good if your willing to go thru the extra step to download them. If I remember correctly you will have to choose them in chart options or it will just show your regular insight map. The real nice thing is they are free!   I mostly use Navionics I find I like them better than the insight maps & its easier to download user generated maps.
    • Do you know if the GPS tracker part works without cell service? I think that is going to be my biggest issue, I don't know if I can track another phone from my phone without cell signal.
    • Come on BB, you don't have to be positive or a homer to realize this team is light years better than they were 3/4 years ago. The results haven't changed, but that isn't saying they haven't improved. 3/4 years ago we had young guys like Brodin, Haula, Coyle, Nino just getting their wings. This year they had career years in many cases. That is precisely what we have been hoping/waiting for them to do. The way you talk it seems like you forget that the NHL playoffs are best of 7 series. That's a long grind for any team to make and you have to have a lot of luck and some guys playing out of their mind to make it to the finals. I'm not happy they lost in 5 to the Blues, but I'm not giving up on this team either. They do need to make changes, which will reshape this team for next season. Pump some more youth into the lineup and we could certainly have some up and down next year. Like I said before, go back and see our predictions for where they would finish at the beginning the of the season. I am pretty sure I said they would finish like 5th place. Finishing 2nd all things considered, was a pleasant surprise, but guess what, everyone whined about it! LOL
    • Possible but I'm not sure who owns what patent.
  • Our Sponsors