• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pressure washer

Roofer

Been looking at a new pressure washer. I have an electric one now and it works OK, but the gas ones look like the way to go. I am looking at under $500, and one at Northern looks like a good one for about $400 with a Honda engine. Any experience with these or other brands? Any accessories that are a must with certain models?

I will be using it on my atv and truck, so a lower pressure setting would be nice.

Any suggestions are welcome.

i bought a generac brand at menards a few years back

and it works great. has a 5.5 hp honda. 2300 PSI.

has low and high pressure. i think the one at northern

is simiilar.

randy

I bought the Northern Tool washer I think that you are talking about. It lists for $389, and I bought it the day before Father's day when everything was 10% off, so it was about $350.

Absolutely no problems with it so far. Cleaned the moss/dirt/tree droppings off the concrete patio and sidewalk at the lake with no problem, and the bugs off the front of the truck. It does not have an adjustable pressure setting that I know of, you just need to keep the wand back a bit further when washing vehicles.

What I like about buying from NT is that they carry lots of replacement parts and accessories.

I have a Delta brand pw it has a honda engine and it's worked well for about 4 years now. I've been having issues lately with the pressure regulator sticking but all in all it's been good. I'd try to get one with a flexible hose and a good gun. It can make all the difference in the world. My hose is a little to stiff and can be a pita sometimes to use. I just replaced the gun this year with a more commercial one and it works so much better. You have to get different end pieces instead of having the twist adjustment but it does such a better job.

Just make sure you treat it right and they will last a long time. Once you're done with it in the fall, prepare the engine for storage and winterize the pump. Pump rebuild kits can get fairly expensive ($200 or so). Unless the PW comes with an adjustable wand you'll end up changing tips to change pressure; works like a champ. When my dad died I inherited his pressure washer (which he didn't take care of) and after rebuilding the pump, engine, and re-outfitting it (hose, wand) it works like a champ.

Thanks for the help guys. Is there a specific way to winterize the pump? If it is in a heated area, will it still need to be winterized or is it just for the non-use time?

I think I will be going with the one from Northern. I'll have to see what they have for different wands. I agree with bjjams also about the stiff plastic hoses. That is one main thing I am trying to avoid.

I make sure that my soap pickup line is dry (or let it suck up some RV antifreeze). Then I use a product called Pump Saver. It's a foaming antifreeze-lubricant product that you screw onto the water intake, press the button, and the product is injected into the pump where it expands and drives out residual water.

The second way is to cut a short piece of hose and thread it to the water intake, put a funnel into the other end. Make sure the high pressure hose is disconnected. Then have someone start the engine while you pour a 50/50 antifreeze mixture into the intake. Keep pouring until it comes out the high pressure side then turn off the motor. Also change the motor oil and the pressure pump oil every couple of years.

I have a Karcher 2400psi and cannot be any happier. I bought it 3 years ago new, the unit gets out from my shop as soon as there's no more frost and gets back in in the fall, it stays 24hrs outside, day by day, regardless of weather. It doesn't miss a beat, turn switch ON, pull choke rod, start at 2nd pull, put choke in, and it runs.

I haven't changed oil (still the factory new motor oil), or done anything to it, and it keeps on running. I was contemplating putting a better pump on it, for more GPM and pressure.

In the fall I take hose off and run it dry for a second or so, that's it, never fogged, winterized, etc. every spring it starts like new.

even if its in a heated garage i would still winterize it b/c if the heater just happens to go out for w/e reason and u forget about the pressure washer so could be in quite a or deal. just run seafoam threw the gas, get all the water outa the lines and get some briggs and stration pump winterizer and spray it in the pump cuz if u dont and it freezes you in for buying a new housing or pump. its only a couple dollars and why skip that for hundreds just for being dumb?

We got a pw from Northern with a Honda engine. It works good, we use it in for washing the atvs or anything for that matter, and for washing the deck off and stripping the old gray [PoorWordUsage] off the wood. As far as winterizing goes we just disconect the hoses and pull the rope to turn the engine and pump over to get all the water out of it.