• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Personal bit of torment...

I was hoping to share a picture with you all on this, but...

I managed to catch my personal best last Wednesday, July 2nd on Minnetonka. Everything about the moment was perfect. I was using a new lure I just got at TB the day before (that I had a feeling would work here). The spot, the weather, the time of day were perfect... even my angle of approach. The muskie hit the bait about 30 feet out and when it boiled at the surface, I knew I had something big. There was another boat nearby, so I asked them (father and son, also muskie fishing) if they had a big net (currently the only piece of Muskie gear that is absent from my boat). They said yes and I asked them if they could help net it, since I was alone. It took me some 5 minutes to wrangle this thing to the boat and I played that fish perfect (patting myself on my back some more). I estimated the fish at 4 feet long when it was in the water and I was dead on... just a hair over 48" measured. The two even had a digital camera and took my picture. It took some coercing for a minute or so, but I eventually got the fish active again until it swam away on it's own. After taking down my e-mail address, I couldn't thank the two of them enough. I offered them a beer for helping me (who cares that it's 8:30 AM... I was about to drink one myself), and for taking my picture. I was estatic... how much better could it get. My PB and first truly "legal" size muskie, all caught on my custom spinning outfit... with a good picture to boot!

Well, here is where the my torment comes in. The guy that took the picture has yet to contact me. I'm getting the feeling I will never see that picture. Maybe I messed something up with my e-mail address and maybe I should have gotten their phone number or something. I know... it's just a picture, but I really was hoping to have some momento of that moment, other than the now fully broken-in lure. The only thing I know about the guys is that they have (I think) a blue and silver 16-18' Alumacraft with a big white Suzuki or Johnson outboard on it... and they live somewhere west of the lake (Woodbury? ...heck, I don't know...). They know I live in Lakeville, but that's about all else they know about me. Somehow, I get the feeling they are not FM-ers either, but in case they are, hopefully someone can get back to me here. If anyone knows who I might be talking about, do tell them to get in touch with me. Thanks for all of you letting me rant...

-Gregg B.

Give 'em a little time, I'm sure they'll get it to you. We did the same for a guy once - by the time I got home and downloaded and sent to him was like 3 days. I had some other things to take care of and that may be the case here. When you get it make sure to post. Congrats.

I am still hoping that is the case. It has been a week now, but with the holidays and such, not to mention their own lives, it may take a little while...

-Gregg B.

My rod is custom-built by Thorne Brothers. I couldn't find a stock rod from anyone with the right length and action. The closest I found was some saltwater surf-casting stuff, all of which was too bulky, heavy and unbalanced. It uses an 8' G. Loomis SW-96 (255 Teel) Muskie rod blank with a 14" handle and one of those hourglass-shaped power grip (foregrip- I forget the real name of this special grip). It's one-of-a-kind and I paid dearly for it. I can cast lures that easily weigh 8+ ounces (including regular Bulldawgs and DCG's) with this set-up. A couple of bonuses because it is spinning gear... I can cast a country mile and it is better than any casting gear for burning bucktails!

-Gregg B.