• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tricks and Training-One or the Other or Both

Scott M

Have heard two opinions on the matter and wanted more. I'm busy training the dog (she is 12 weeks) in the evenings, but before I get home my wife is doing the same thing with tricks. The pup is learning roll over, jump, paw, etc. She is also learning stay, no, come, sit, and lay down from my wife which is good, but I'm concerned that the parlor tricks could get in the way of the real training (which has been sit, stay, no, come, whoa, heel, kennel, and down).

Any care to share their thoughts on the matter?

I have never and will never teach parlor tricks... why occupy the precious time period of fundamental training with tricks? If she wants to teach them, I say wait until the dog is older and then go ahead and teach away... When young concentrate on the bread and butter training and leave the fluff out!

My 2 cents!

Ken

It's good that you're both involved with the pup, but you both should be on the same page... I never understood the reason to teach a dog to shake. I've seen a couple of children scratched pretty good from a dog that was taught the shake thing. The jump deal is bit worry-some too. Usually I've had a hard enough time learning the puppy to stay down. Yeah, I guess I'm not big on the parlor tricks, but if it keeps you both involved with the pup I think that is important too; work on tricks that supplement or compliment your training goals.

your dog is a sponge at this age right now, and is learning how to act out for the rest of its life. you should set standards, and follow those standards, day in and day out.

example, i allow no vocalness in the training field, and the same goes for around the house.

if i were you, i would take advantage of this time to bond with your dog and teach him the things that will help him have success in the field, or on the line.