Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcatcreek

Ouch! Some Advice

10 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the catfishing arena, and I'd like to know how you guys handle catfish. Whenever I hold a catfish for a snapshot, I usually hold it with my thumb in it's mouth, and my other hand holding it's belly. On my last occasion, I had ahold of one that was about 2-3 lbs. While I was posing for a pic, it bit down on my thumb with very surprising force. For a split second, I thought it was going to smash my thumb in. Then to make matters worse, it didn't let go for about 10 seconds. I had no idea catfish jaws were that powerful. I do not want that to happen again. Could you guys give me some pointers on better ways to hold catfish without getting bitten? Thanks for your time.

Channels are not the fish to "lip" they bite down hard as you found out.

Do as chadwick says and you'll be fine.

one bigger fish I grab around the tail and under the belly. On smaller fish just grag em' behind the spines.

I always put my hand under the gill plate. Be careful you don't want to hurt them but it works well for pictures but if i do not want a pic then i grab them behing the head if they are only 2-3lbs. Just gotta remember to not hurt the fish, mayne in 10 years that fish could be your trophy

I tried being a tough guy the last Moore's contest. They all yelled at me not to do it and for my stupidity I have a nice scar on my thumb now.

Do as they say and I would also add maybe keeping it on the bottom of the boat until you are ready for the picture. Channels aren't very patient and that tail has a lot of strength in it to. Combine that with channel lube and you have the potential to drop and injure the fish or get Manny slapped!

lipped the first channel I ever caught... length in the high 20's to 30ish for size perspective.

that was also the LAST channel I ever lipped!

I'll manhandle them about the pectoral fins, and the tail too if the're large enough.

Big channels can munch clams like sunflower seeds. They have amazing crushing jaws. Even young channels can put a nice love bite on a guy.

I know better, yet I have had my little finger broken twice by big channels.

So I try to keep my fingers out of Miss Piggys kisser, as much as I possibly can.

I guarantee..if you have a sore finger..she will munch on it...and smile. Tee-Hee...Got-ch-ya!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• If I choose not to dig the horseradish, will it keep growing next year? 
    • That's funny, I was just looking at airplane tickets..... 
    • It could be said that Trump is actually a third party candidate, who is taking on the two establishment parties one at a time rather than both at once like Gary Johnson.      Sort of like a fight against two opponents.   Take out one first then fight the other.   Trump was pretty clearly not a part of the Republican Party establishment when he declared his candidacy.   He was opposed by all of the other candidates as well as the Party apparatus.    But now they have lost and are faced with losing their influence if they don't support the nominee.   Gary Johnson, on the other hand, chose to go the traditional third party route and take on the whole establishment at the same time, an endeavor that is doomed.  Even Ross Perot or Ralph Nader couldn't pull it off.   It was Trump who had the the insight to realize that he could inject himself into the cluster thing that was the Republican nominating process and with his money, media savvy, and recognition get the nomination.  That's how it has to be done these days.   And it may have been a unique opportunity.    Next time the Republicans will probably change their process to be rigged like the Dems did after the McGovern debacle, especially if Trump loses.    
    • that one got by me.  Missed the metasarcasm.
    • I have a couple of spots where scrapes are opened up every year by opening weekend bow in mid Sept, they aren't easy to find but they are out there.
    • I think it might would have worked better if that tree in the picture would have not fallen in front of the rub.   also I had a fair amount  of does and fawns check it and lick it. 
    • my brother said he didn't get one either with 2 preference points. I think its because he lives in packer land!!!!!!
    • Ha ha. Hope it pans out for ya! I have 2 points now, so perhaps I'm getting closer.  
    • As the week went on I wish I could say each day got better but it didn't, the entire group kept seeing the same 4x4 and 2 cows but could never get close enough for a shot, the bowhunters had a couple different zone options we didn't so they did some day trips to different areas but never saw anything the 65-75 degree temps no rain made for a very very tough hunt.  Toward the end of the week I decided to head to the area my father in-law and I saw the bull as I got closer to the area I couldn't find a way to drop down to the aspens where we were and I didn't want to retrace our route we made to get in there and I don't think I could have figured it out either so instead I sat in a area that was close and with lots of sign I figured maybe I will get lucky. I sat for about 5 hours without a sighting and the winds were getting strong so I figured I better get moving so I didn't get caught in the rain storm Was very cool to see the weather systems move over the mountains as I headed back the rain turned to a mist so I stopped at a small field we found early in the week with lots of sign and just sat till dark my only visitor had no I idea i was there got to about 15 feet from me. It was a great learning experience weather played a major factor and taught us some valuable lessons that's for sure, I can wait to go back but it will probably be a couple years now. 
    • sorry?????? I had 3 preference points!!!!!!!!
  • Our Sponsors