Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcatcreek

Ouch! Some Advice

10 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the catfishing arena, and I'd like to know how you guys handle catfish. Whenever I hold a catfish for a snapshot, I usually hold it with my thumb in it's mouth, and my other hand holding it's belly. On my last occasion, I had ahold of one that was about 2-3 lbs. While I was posing for a pic, it bit down on my thumb with very surprising force. For a split second, I thought it was going to smash my thumb in. Then to make matters worse, it didn't let go for about 10 seconds. I had no idea catfish jaws were that powerful. I do not want that to happen again. Could you guys give me some pointers on better ways to hold catfish without getting bitten? Thanks for your time.

Channels are not the fish to "lip" they bite down hard as you found out.

Do as chadwick says and you'll be fine.

one bigger fish I grab around the tail and under the belly. On smaller fish just grag em' behind the spines.

I always put my hand under the gill plate. Be careful you don't want to hurt them but it works well for pictures but if i do not want a pic then i grab them behing the head if they are only 2-3lbs. Just gotta remember to not hurt the fish, mayne in 10 years that fish could be your trophy

I tried being a tough guy the last Moore's contest. They all yelled at me not to do it and for my stupidity I have a nice scar on my thumb now.

Do as they say and I would also add maybe keeping it on the bottom of the boat until you are ready for the picture. Channels aren't very patient and that tail has a lot of strength in it to. Combine that with channel lube and you have the potential to drop and injure the fish or get Manny slapped!

lipped the first channel I ever caught... length in the high 20's to 30ish for size perspective.

that was also the LAST channel I ever lipped!

I'll manhandle them about the pectoral fins, and the tail too if the're large enough.

Big channels can munch clams like sunflower seeds. They have amazing crushing jaws. Even young channels can put a nice love bite on a guy.

I know better, yet I have had my little finger broken twice by big channels.

So I try to keep my fingers out of Miss Piggys kisser, as much as I possibly can.

I guarantee..if you have a sore finger..she will munch on it...and smile. Tee-Hee...Got-ch-ya!