• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

120v Adapter for Frabill Aerator

JimBuck

Question

Hey folks. Just bought a new Aerator. I like the unit but need to purchase an additional 120v Adapter for it as the unit only comes with a 12v adapter (cigarette lighter). Anyone know where I can find one? The guys at Radio Shack didn't seem to know diddly...The adapter will be plugged into an onboard inverter on my boat to avoid buying new D-Cells every time. Thanks!

-Buck'

7 answers to this question

I've got an 87' Sylvan w/ 45hp Mariner Tiller. I thought about going this route but the folks at R.S. said that I needed to buy an additional power supply (85 bucks) on top of the 15 dollar cigarette lighter adapter in order to properly install and prevent any electrical fires from happening. This seems like an overkill and Frabill's HSOforum says a 120v adapter would do the job. Any thoughts?

If you have a 12V supply, you can wire in a cigarette lighter adapter. Just wire in an inline fuse and you'll be fine.

Otherwise I do it just the opposite. I use a 110v home aquarium pump plugged into an inverter that's wired to the battery. The 110v pumps are much quieter wink

I guess I don't understand what the folks at RS are thinking but it doesn't make sense to take DC and convert it to AC only to change it back to DC cause that is what the aerator runs on . If you have a trolling motor battery just buy some of the cables that have clips on one end and a cigarette lighter on the other end. The pump will draw the same amount of amps no matter if it is running on AC or DC.

Thanks for the response guys. I don't have a bus-bar installed (yet) otherwise I would install a cigarette lighter and be done with it. Jim, your idea with the +/- clips and the cigarette lighter seems like an easy fix to the problem, I'm going to give it a whirl. Any idea where I can find one of these?

Kind regards,

-Buck'