• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pegging Weights

Craig Plummer

I always peg the weight on a texas rig. I don't like

how it feels when you don't. I use a bobber stop to peg it.

I think you should when flippin and fishin heavy weeds.

Hiya -

'Pegging' helps keep the weight and plastic together, which is an advantage when you're crawling it through heavy cover. When unpegged, the weight can separate and slide away from the bait, and really reduce your ability to feel what's happening. A fish can pick the bait up, but since the weight is hanging free you may not be able to feel it at all... Plus, you tend to hang up more when weights are unpegged because the plastic will wrap around things like rush stalks.

As to how it's done, the old school method was to take a toothpick and jam it in the bullet sinker, then break it off. You can also use a neoprene bobber stop, which is a lot easier on your line. Any more, about the only bullet sinkers I use are Northland Sling Shots, which have a rubber insert you run your line through then twist to lock it in place. They're slick as all get out, and you can change weights without retying besides. the guys who use tungsten sinkers have a different system, and one of them can probably explain how that all works...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm