• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

good panfish lake

reelemin

Hi all

we're chatting about another Womens GTG already ( Mid Aug ) and looking to get on a good panfish lake.

Any ideas? Thanks !!

What we're needing is -

a lake somewhat centrally located in the state

a campground on the lake

good crappie fishing

Thanks

SAUK LAKE!!!

It is nearly in the middle of Minnesota. Ton's of panfish (crappies and bluegills). City owned campground on the south end. Easy to fish and good to great pike, bass and walleye fishing. Plus some awesome carp shooting somedays. Plus many many other great lakes around (Osakis, Swan, Big and Little Birch.......)

Only catch is that crappies/sunnies are usually "keepers" with big fish few and far between, but it has been 3 years since I left Sauk Centre for Pequot Lakes so it could be a little different. However for my 20 years in Sauk Centre, Sauk Lake produced year after year, regardless of pressure.

Good Luck

But whats a keeper? Cuz i've fished lakes near Sauk, Waska and Maple and there isnt much to brag about for size for bluegills on those lakes. 3 to a lb is bare minimum for keeper size in my book. 1/2 to 3/4 lbers are keepers.

With a little looking I could usually get limits of 8 inch or better sunfish and 10 inch or better crappies on Sauk. Those are my keepers. Sauk is pretty steady for 8 to 9 inch sunfish, but crappie size varies due to the 400 or more crappie houses on the north end every winter. Never needed to drive to waska or maple.