• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zebco 808

Brownie77

I just got a berkly big game rod, adn want to put a Zebco 808 on it. Any thoughts. I live near the chain of lakes so Channel Cats will be all i have to fish unless I go back home to the MN river. Money is tight due to a new baby, but I thougth this would be a cheap way to take care of that cat bug I have. Fishing these Walleyes and Crappies is just not cutting it.

I think that would work fine for channels. Pack it with some #15-#20 mono and you should be good. The average channel is about #2-#5, but you have a good chance at catching one in the teens also.

You can always use ur wally gear as well. If you have a reel with an extra spool, you can pack the it with #20 superline of some sort.

Well I put power pro 50lb test on it. It seems to cast fine. I know I can use my walleye gear, just wan to to preten i have a chance at catching a 40 pound flathead. It is amazing that around here you can not find creek chubs for sale, had to go fish my own last night. I am having hernia surgery tomorrow so I figure friday I have a date with a piece of river bank, a lawn chair, 6" chub and my new pole all day long.

Brownie Where ya goin cattin?Mn river? If ya come my way RedwoodFalls to GraniteFalls,I think ya may get one over 20. 40 is pushin it,my largest is around 35-37.

Got the ole girl a 808 for this works great!

Get bullheads chubs havent worked for me and keepin em alive is a problem!

Nope just hanging out here near St. Cloud at the cahin of lakes. I used to fish the MN all the time, but moved here 10 years ago. This is not my first time fishing cats by any means. I know there are no flat heads here, but the chance to pull in a 15-20 pund northen is real, and caught a 29.5" walleye last week while fishing cats. It has been a tough year here, nothing big yet, but I am now going to switch to big bait.

Quote:
Well I put power pro 50lb test on it.

I dont use the closed face reels, but I know someone that does, and he put superline on it, it wouldnt reel in, the line was to slippery and slid over the noths inside when he caught big fish!

I would put a bit of mono backing on if you're worried about spool slippage. I had major slippage while sturgeon fishing the first time I ever used that stuff. Never knew about backing (mono, electrical tape, etc) before then.

if you like spincasters, try the 733 line... has a pin, instead of a notch. and built like a tank (on the all metal versions) only drawback is you're stuck tightlining. no clicker.

Superline (SpiderWire braid for sure) won't work with spincast reels. The line is too limp and doesn't catch on the pickup pins. Some other more stiff lines may work better.