• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pick up box camper?

sparkyaber

Wow!

When I see rigs on the road like this they make me nervous.

How does it handle? Do the trailers ever wag the truck around? Can you see the boat behind the camper? Do you ever try to pass anyone, and how do you know you're clear to change lanes?

The cool part is, truck, camper, boat, where ever you go, you've got it all!

I haul commercially, that is my work truck.

Boat rig seems heavy but it weights only 3500 lbs total, trailer is 7800 lbs. I spliced the trailer lighting for boat lights but I had to run a separate harness for trailer electric brakes. You could run a separate 7 wire but you will have to splice at trailer front box connector. The boat trailer lights don't have a lot of draw, so I opted to splice at end or RV. Electric brakes have a different issue, I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller, boat trailer brakes same as RV, I never had a lockup if adjusted correctly. Most boat trailers though have surge brakes, be sure they are set up correctly and don;t forget the breakaway snap.

Rig handles great, speed is a factor I travel 60mph maxwith no wondering, fishtailing, or whatsoever, even when big semi passes me at 70mph, but the duals have a factor in this. View of boat is a little limited even with towing mirrors, what I did I positioned the downriggers out a little so I can have sight of rig (don't go pass 8.5ft width or your illegal). I didn't pass many vehicles but have no problem changing lanes. It's a matter of taking your time and be safe. It actually turns wider than my 40ft flatbed, since camper swings tail out a little on turns and brings boat out.

I know of people adding a wireless camera on back of trailer (approx $ 100) to check the 2nd rig.

You cannot show up at a ramp with this, there is none or very little backup. I have a diesel truck, I just pull in truck filling stations, they are wide and made for long rigs.

If I had a work truck, I would definitely get a 5th wheel.

My issue is having to drive around in a big truck when not using the camper. I don't want to do that, nor can I afford to get a truck just for towing. I wish you could rent a decent truck for towing.

Having a work truck to use for towing is a great benefit. Thanks for the info.

Quick question for you Valv. How to you trailer that through Wisconsin to Algoma? I thought the overall length was 65' in WI. Just wondering, you look over that. I am close to 65' with mine and worried about going in to Wisconsin with it.

Sorry I missed this. In case where length is more than legal you need an oversize permit. In WI is $ 20, and it's nothing to be worried, you just have to fill up the paper and pay the fee. No need for flags, lights, pilot cars etc.

Sometimes they will let it slide if you are just a little over the limit (eg 67ft on 65ft limit), especially when the neighbor state will allow 10 ft more, but it's up to the officer in charge.