Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverrat56

Why Pinch Hit?

21 posts in this topic

Kuebl was 1-2 with a walk, bases are loaded, 1 out, bring in Monroe, hitting a blistering .144 against lefties? Kuebl has a very good track record with the bases loaded...

Good question and I'm with you on this one.

Kubel is only batting .150 something against lefties. Pick your poison.

I'd take Kuble (or how ever you spell it), every time.

I'll help you on that one, It's Kubel. I don't know why Gardy did that either, I would have liked to see Kubel at the plate in that situation.

Monroe's had a hot bat as of late, hasn't he? Still, I wondered about that move too.

Good game - lots of good hits got taken away by good defense....

monroe hasn't really been doing too bad lately...and like Biff said kubel is doing horrible against lefties this season....

So is Monroe, Kubel is tied for the team lead in HR's and while he isn't hitting the cover off the ball, I just like him alot more in a clutch situation, he has came through before. If you are going to pinch hit for someone, why not save Monroe and pinch hit for Young, he is very unproven in big situations and he does not seem to have great pitch selection at this poin in his career.

Wow, when the Twins win is quiet in here! They loose a game 1-0, and you question every move they make! Guys the Twins have won 18 out of 22 games, with a team all of you said were going to be lucky to be a .500 team, and you are jumping on every move the coaches make? I think the coaching has done a good job with the young talent they have!

Wanderingeyes I agree with you but it is a forum to discuss the moves a team makes. As you probably know the more a team loses the more people want to talk about it. Look at the vikings the worst they do the more the phones light up on KFAN after the game. I will say that Monroe has been hiting the ball well lately and if he hits it out its a great move.

Managing from the loveseat

Mark

I would have left Kubel in there myself just as a gut feeling. But like Biff said they both suck against lefties this year. However, Monroe's career numbers against lefties are not bad: .262 average, .312 OBP, .475 slugging. Gardy probably looked at that plus the fact that he always brings in the righty if a left hander comes out of the pen(unless Mauer or Morneau is up).

Yeah it is a toss up either way. I personally like Kubel at the plate but Monroe has come through in pressure situations before. Not saying Kubel hasn't, but there may have been more to it than that. Has Monroe faced that pitcher before? Anyways a tough game but it also shows we can compete with the "Mighty" Red Sox. We also got out of some sticky situations in the game as well! Hopefully we bounce back and win the series and keep this run going.

4wanderingeyes, I'm am real happy with what the Twins have done lately, I feel they play the game the right way, and I don't complain about it much, I just don't understand some of the moves they make. To me, when you have been in the game already, and had 3 plate appearences it is much easier to go into an at-bat confident, and for a basic toss up between the hitters, I would leave the guy who is in the game to bat, save my pinch hitter in case he needs to bat for someone else later in the game.

I dont agree with some moves either, but I am not complaining, they are a good team this year, and a good team that everyone thought was going to be a bad team!

Well...you guys wanted Kubel up in a big spot...

Gawd I'm sick of Boston right now...another game they should have had, rough outing by Guerrier. Wish we had a slugger to make Papelbon pay on 30 consecutive fastballs.

That's a joke. Papelbon didn't throw anything but a fastball, but no one could man up to it. GRRRR!

Punto was allo over him and he finally got that hit. I would have left Gomez in there to hit, he obviously likes fastballs and would have forced papelbon to pitch a breaking ball.

Ok...last nite Kubel pinch hit for Gomez...man on 3rd with only 1 out. And what did he do???

It is a little boys game being played by men. Just relax and enjoy the 162 games. Football is only played on weekends (usually), and is 1/10 as many games. We at least get to enjoy baseball all week and all summer,

I would have let gomez hit. Like Da Chise said all fastballs by Papelbon, son just sit and wait. Also Span missed a sign and I am sure the runner at thrid had to change his pants when he got to the dugout after scoring on Spans blooper.

Monroes had a pretty decent pinch hits this year. I do like the fact that Kubel is showing some of that power.