• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Fillet Knife.

bogwalker

Question

Cutco - Kershaw - Rapala - Chicago - I have all of these and they hold an edge. All knifes need to be properly steeled while in use and cut flesh instead of bone, wood or rock to keep the best edge. There are lots of other great knives on the market and I'm sure there will be lots of other recommendations.

Been using my Rapalas for most of my life. Still use the first one I owned. I habitually touch it to a stone every time I finish using it whether I think it needs it or not. It only takes a stroke or two to maintain the edge. This is a good habit to get in to for any knife including and probably especially kitchen knives. It's a lot easier to maintain an edge than restore an edge.

Bob

I just bought a Wusthof from Cabelas. It holds an edge much better than my Rapala but it should for the money.

I think it's worth it but it depends on how much fish cleaning you do. I also like using my fillet knives for cleaning deer.

I'd say they are, most definately. I liked the first one I got as a gift so well I bought a second to keep at the cabin. They hold an edge really well and you have the option of sending them in to Don to get them resharpened or bringing them in to the Sportsmans show and getting them sharpened. Used to be free, but now it is about 5 bucks. Lasts till the next sports show if you use them the way they are intended. They will personally inscribe them for you. My original says especially made for Randy on one side and has a small walleye etched in the other with the date 1998.

Tunrevir~

Truthfully, I think the old Rapala's are much better than the new ones. I have an old Rapala from about 30 years ago and it holds an edge much better than the one I bought my son about 5 years ago. I have read good things about the Red Lake knife, but it is $$$.

Leech Lake knives are excellent, and there have been many testimonials here on FM.

Personally, my favorite knives were the Schrade fillet knives with the green handles. They had very good steel. Sadly, Schrade is out of business, but once in a while you'll run across one in an old display case

I still use my fillet knives for butchering deer and elk, as Archerystud noted.

I do 99 percent of my fish cleaning with an electric knife now.

If you have your heart set on some really, really good high end cutlery, check out Dunn knives. I had a couple of skinners back in my trapping days, and they were incredible. They make fillet knives too, but they are $$$$$.

i was in l&m a few weeks ago. they had some awesome deals on rapala fillet knives with the plastic handle like 3.50 a peice i bought about 6 of them i dont know how they will sharpen yet. but the price of these is deffinetly worth it

I think Gissert hit the nail on the head. My understanding is that the better the steel, the better it will hold an edge.

Most of the new Rapala knives sell for $10, so I question how good the steel is on them. Maybe the old ones had better steel.

I still have my Rapala, I just need to sharpen it much more that my new Wusthof.

Leech Lake Knife. I've had mine since 2001 and have it sharpened at the Sportshow once a year. This last year I didn't clean as many fish as usual (yeah I still caught, just didn't keep them) so I didn't get it sharpened last spring. I've gotten them for 3 of my fishing buddies who all like them.

Love the Rapala. Are the Leech Lake Knives worth the money?

I received one as a gift. It is a great knife, but I can't see paying nearly $100 for a fillet knife when there are excellent knifes made for $5 to $40. I do take my Leech Lake knife Alaska each year. The stiffer blade is good when filleting salmon and halibut. They would work well for Muskys too. (just kidding)

I have an Easley I have been using for close to 20 years now. I sent it back once for resharpening. I have kinda gone electric for gills now but still do my perch and eyes with the Easley. I see no need to ever buy another knife for the rest of my life. May need to have it resharpened again in a few years though.

Cutco is based in Olean, NY. They make any and all types of cutlery. The knives can only be purchased through their HSOforum or through a local sales representative. Very expensive, but also the very best knives on the market. They have a lifetime guarantee with free lifetime sharpening. Google Cutco knives and you should find the HSOforum...

-Gregg B.

Small correction on the Cutco guarantee, it's not a lifetime, it's a forevere guarantee. Simply means one can pass it down to the kids and then theirs and the guarantee will always be there. No one offers this type guarantee other than Cutco I believe.