• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blank Extensions

Your best bet would be to find a scrap piece of blank that will fit fairly well into the end of the bland and epoxy it in place. I would also wrap the end similar to the way you would wrap a ferrule on a 2 piece rod to keep it from splitting. You need to be aware that you will make it a faster action rod by doing that.

Not to bust your bubble but I unknowingly had an 8' musky rod which was actually a 7'6" blank with a 6" butt extention. I found out when it broke while casting. Maybe that was a freak exception but I'm gunshy of them personally.

You'll be making a flippin' stick, where the blank telescopes into the handle. Although those rods can be fished with heavy line and big jigs, I, too, would be a bit suspect of heaving large musky lures with it. Better to consider a surf rod blank made out of fiberglass - they bend alot easier, and are just more flexible to quick, heavy stress like the kind encountered while musky fishing. A good fiberglass surf blank will be less expensive as well - do an online search for surf rob blanks and see what comes up. Otherwise, I'd leave well enough alone - it would be a darn shame to build a nice handle and everything, only to break it doing something it's not really geared for...

I have not done it, but I would think if you fitted and re - inforced the joint it should hold up. If you don't wrap over where the joint is it will fail when stressed, it will be a weak point.

I have a St. Croix Legend Elete 7ft I extended the blank (with Lonnie's help). to 7'10". Works great on Mille lacs for live bait rigging, and a pretty nice slip bobber rod as well.

I would have to give the edge to the Loomis IMX HSR 9000. I know that Thorne Bros. makes a ton og these rods for the Walleye guys.

For sinkers up to 1/2 oz, this one rocks!!!.

The St. Croix is nice, but I believe the Loomis is a little lighter. The tip I feel on the Loomis is a little faster.

You wouldn't be disappointed with either one of them.

I would go up to Thorne Bros. and look at them both and talk to Lonnie. If your'e going to go, give me a call or e-mail I'll meet you there if I can.

Are you thinking og extending the handle at all?? On the ST. Croix, you would be safe up to 7' 9" or 10". I'm not sure about the Loomis.

I would have to say that the HSR 9000 is my favorite rigging rod for up to 1/2 oz.

I love my IMX Steelhead blank (spinning) I believe it's 8'6" for fishing the mud.(forgot the model #)

The guys in the Thorne Bros rod shop are great. I built a IMX 721 this year and am thinking that a HSR 9000 would be my next one. I thought about that 8'6" steelhead blank for Mille Lacs but thought I must be crazy, now maybe not.....

Thanks, I'll let you know here before I head up there. I've got a bunch of copper in my garage to take in before I get it. I think I'll have to get moving on that pretty quick here!

I've used 7' rods forever and I currently use a 7' ML Avid for my lindys (it's a very nice rod for the money, got it for $100 close out last year) but am looking for something a bit longer now.

I fished both the legend Elite and the HSR 9000 IMX on Sat.

Heres how I would describe the differences.

The HSR 9000 good probably up to 3/8 oz. 1/2 gets a little "mushy". Very fast tip, you can feel everything. If you would spend more, the GLX would handle a 1/2 oz well.

The Elite is good up to 1/2 for sure. Fast tip. I would say this is a good minnow rod for rigging. Good rod for pulling spinners with a little heavier weight.

Again, these are both sweetheart rods, comes doen to preference. I would guess you could extend the handle on a 9000 to make it an 8 ft to 8ft 3" . Works nice for the longer snells on Mille Lacs.

The legend Elite , max with extending would be like mine 7 ft 10".

The Steelhead blank I love for fishing the mud with longer snells. You set the hook on those Eyes over 25" and the first half of the blank really bends, and you have plenty of power in the butt section. It's rated to 3/4 oz. Another thing you can do with this blank is if you feel the tip is a little soft for the 3/4 oz or so. I know that Lonnie has cut off the first 3 " on the tip for some Walleye guys who use the heavier weights. Probably could fish up to one oz doing this.

Let me know when you want to go, and I'll bring up the Legend Elite and the Steelhead rod. They have plenty of 9000's to look at.

That way you can compare all three of them tied up.

I like the Raindshadow Salmon/Steelhead Hotshot rod blanks for rigging. The HS9000 and HS9001 are quite nice for walleye applications. Some of the heavier/longer rods in the series would be good if you need to go deeper with heavier hardware. I've used the 9000/9001 with 2oz bottom bouncers and they are still responsive.

Rodmaker, what weight do you use on the mud flats? At 28' I find 1/4oz to be pretty light and I get so much line out I don't really know where I am in relation to the boat anymore. I keep reading where the pro's use a 1oz per 10' of water rule but that seems pretty excessive too. I currently use a 7' Avid with 8# fireline and it's pretty sensitive, but I'm always looking for more feel.

A GLX? Man, my wife would pop a gasket on that one if she found out! I've already picked up an IMX and two Stradics this year.

Minimum 3/8. Probably 1/2 to 1 oz.If (its really windy)

I'm not drifting, I'm backtrolling (slow)either with the electric or big motor into the wind.

I've found out it's best to let out line , feel bottom and stop. Or feel bottom and wind up a little. There is alot of talk dragging VS just off the bottom.

The guys using the heavier stuff are probably trolling a little faster with spinners.

If you are drifting with a drift sock out, or backtrolling slowly into the wind most of the times 1/2 to 3/4 is enough weight.

I know about the price on the GLX's. I just thought I would mention the differences between that blank as far as lure weight goes. It's because of the way the GLX's are made.

All my rods are IMX's.

Any idea when you are heading up??? During the week eve. is better for me.