• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS - What should I BUY????

bassinjigs4pigs

Question

I have read a lot of posts on GPS units and I still don't know what to invest in. I am looking to spend up to $1000 and want to get something versatile and reliable. The sonar is not real important as I have 2 sonar units already.

Which is better? Internal or external antenna?

Any information, ideas or suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone has a different opinion and it is worthwhile.

9 answers to this question

The best GPS for you will be based on what mapping you like. If you like lakemaster chips you want to go with Lowrance. If you like Navionics you will want to go with Humminbird. Each is more talored to the units I mentioned. As far as antenna. Go with external if you can. You will get better reception for faster gps lock and more accurate position. There are other brands too like Garmin but from what I've seen they are less fishing oriented. If I were getting a GPS only unit I would go Lowrance with a lakemaster chip but thats me. I have both Humminbird and Lowrance units and like both but the Lowrance units have sun/moon rise info and a few other things that are nice.

I just bit the bullet and purchased a Lowrance 522. I was on the fence between Hummingbird and Lowrance but the chip offer from Lowrance is what won me over. If/When I buy another, I'm going to take a look at the bird's a bit more....the display has a higher contrast ration and the interface is a little more polished than Lowrance. I had to do a few things to get my Lowrance functioning properly as well that will play a role in future electronic purchases....I love the unit now, but I've been hearing my fair share of complaints on the lowrance side. That side imaging looks incredible too. As others have said, it's what you want out of the electronics as well....I know the Lowrance unit's network easily which was also a bonus for me. I suggest getting your hands on the units and see what catches your eye....Good Luck!

I haven't seen much difference in the internal or external antenna. I have the 522c with internal and it's just fine. I have an X15 on the front that has a puck on the back of the boat and they both get the same signal.

Anyone run a Humingbird 957C? What do you think of them? Pros and cons? I have run nothing but Lowrance in the past but I can get this unit for a great price.

Northlander,

I used to run a 937C Dual Freq. I believe this is the model that replaced it. It's a great unit. I never had any problems with it losing bottom, not locking on, losing the signal, etc... And the display was fantastic. Even in the sun. And as far as cleaning, no "Special Cloths" needed. Any soft cloth will do.

I'm now running a 997SI on the dash, and a 787 on the bow. Love them both. I used to run Lowrance from many years, but for now, I won't go back. The Customer Service from Humminbird IMHO is unmatched! Very knowledgeable and prompt. The only downfall of the Bird units is you can't use Lakemaster Maps. But I like the Navionics maps just as well.

As far as Internal vs External GPS antenna. If you can, definitely go with the External puck. It picks up the satellites much faster. Also if something should happen to the GPS receiver, you still have your unit to use. (Less GPS)

Bob Aka, Da Beak