• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

leaders

Doop

Personally I would think the thickness it would take of flourocarbon to keep from getting bit off we hinder most lures.

I really like tiable wire like cortland toothy critter and tyger wire. Pretty cheap, and they don't kink easy. Just pick up snap snaps and swivels and your set. Or if your using soft plastics or something you can even tie knots direct. So far I have had success tieing knots with two turn clinch knots and non-slip loop knots.

I run all floro leaders. 80lb for pike and 100lb for musky. I have been using it for four or five years now and have yet to have a leader failure. The 100lb will mess up some smaller lures due to the stiffness of it and you can not use it on any walk the dog type topwaters as it will tangle in seconds.

Quote:
The 100lb will mess up some smaller lures due to the stiffness of it and you can not use it on any walk the dog type topwaters as it will tangle in seconds.

A guide (Hulbert) told me that he uses floro leaders on all lures he casts except for the Jackpot...maybe thats the only walk the dog lure he uses but I would doubt it, maybe he was calling a Weagle, Viper a jackpot too?? I use single strand for WTD lures anyway.

I have used all kinds of smaller leaders back in the young days when I trolled daredevils for pike and they were like 30 pound leaders and worked fine but I never got into bigger ones over 30" with these leaders though.

I'm also almost all fluoro leaders, exception being WTD topwaters as Jonny P said. No failures either.

I like the 80lb fluoro on smaller baits and go up to 130 on the heavier stuff.

It's been way too long since I last seriously pursued toothy critters, so all I have on hand is wire leaders of various strengths. If I decide to start using flourocarbon options,where can I pick up these leaders? A retailer in, or near the metro is preferable.

Thorne Brothers in Fridley has their pre-made fluoro leaders. 80 and 130# test. They are a good leader and a good deal.

Others also like the Stealth leaders, but I've personally not found a reason to look further than the Thorne leaders unless you make your own.

Ask if Matt Johnson is there and introduce yourself too!

Thanks, Chris. I know Matt very well.I kinda figured TB might be the place to go,but wanted to see what the replies were first before I stop in there. Some of my old Musky lures are starting to collect dust.It's time to dust them off. grin

Titanium is the way to go but they are pricey

I was using the Terminator tieable titanium wire until the box I had it in got ripped off. I really liked it. It's kind of tough to find. I found it at a BPS in Florida. Yup...spendy. But it has that stretch, so it's nice with the superline.