• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod/reel/lures suggestions....

Peachy

I'm not sure where to post this so will just post this in few places and see what answers I get.

I'm looking to buy rod/reel/lures for myself and my two young boys. They are age 7 and 4. Which brand do u suggest. I'm a ROOOOKIE! AND thats an understatement. grin I did get advice from a fellow fm'er last summer but thanks to my feeble brain, I couldnt remember which brand it was that he suggested! smirk

Will be fishing for bluegills, bass, etc (small fishes).....when my boys get older, will get them hooked on musky fishing. grin

Pretty easy to forget smile

For the 4 year old, get a floating "Spiderman" or SpongeBob or whatever little outfit. Key thing is floating wink That will work until he is about 6, or if he really gets into fishing and wants a "big boy" rod.

For the 7 year old, get a Zebco or any brand spincast reel with a 5' light action rod. I would say get a fiberglass rod instead of graphite, as graphite breaks easier. Even an Ugly Stick would be a great bet. As he gets better at casting, and he gets into fishng, getting a second rod, a spinning reel with medium light action, maybe in graphite would be good upgrade.

For yourself, get a spinning reel and medium light action rod. Gander has good brand, and I really like their spinning reels. Or Shimano is good, or just about anything. I would suggest an IM6 or IM7 graphite rod (Berkley Lightning Rod is a good starter rod) in medium light would cover all the "little fish" fishing you do, and do well enough on bigger fish until you get a second setup.

Put 8 pound mono line on the kids poles, and that wopuld work for you too. Berkley Trilene XL is about as standard as you can get.

Make sure you have line cutter, long nose pliers, jaw spreader (for pike), and a GOOD SIDECUTTER. The sidecutter is for cutting hooks if they get stuck in your fingers or skin - I just had to use ours on Saturday with a muskie lure hook through my thumb. Get a good one, Knipex Brand.

Also, make sure the kids and you have sunglasses and you wear them. That is my number one rule with fishing with the grandkids. Everybody wears glasses, no excuses.

Then go and have fun! smile Others will have great suggestions too.

why the glasses? other than someone trying to cast and hittin ya the only reason i see. dont take this the wrong way boxmn, i an curious to know, you know learn something.

For the kids I would suggest the Zebco 33 combo. I got them for my kids at WallyWorld for under $20. They are very easy to use and indestructable for the most part. They are also very versitale in what they can handle as far as fish size and types.

If you are really new to fishing this may be good for you too, as it gets you in for low $. However, if you know you are going to fish long term I would suggest a combo from Cabelas or Gander Mtn. (Like the poster said above) Just ask the sales guys for recommendations on what they have. You could get a decent starter setup for around $60.

Exactly. Spend any time with little kids casting, or beginners, or even bass anglers who set the hook very hard ("Cross their eyes, son!" smile ) and you will see lures hit faces and heads, and rod tips going where they should not.

But yep, where there are kids, there needs to be glasses, IMHO. I made that rule when my daughter-in-law had a spinnerbait slap the side of her face, pretty hard.