• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing rods/reels/lures

I'm not sure where to post this so will just post this in few places and see what answers I get.

I'm looking to buy rod/reel/lures for myself and my two young boys. They are age 7 and 4. Which brand do u suggest. I'm a ROOOOKIE! AND thats an understatement. grin I did get advice from a fellow fm'er last summer but thanks to my feeble brain, I couldnt remember which brand it was that he suggested! smirk

Will be fishing for bluegills, bass, etc (small fishes).....when my boys get older, will get them hooked on musky fishing. grin

If your boys haven't had any exposure to a spinning reel, it may be a good idea to get them a Zebco-type reel (can't remember the name for them). That way there will be less backlash/snarled line.

As far as poles, I agree with Hope on the Ugly Stick.

For panfish, there are little kits available that have small jig heads, plastics, sinkers, etc. That will give you a variety of color.

Have fun fishing - it's all about teaching the next generation to fish and to respect and appreciate the outdoors at the same time.

Peachy, if you are all new to fishing get spincasting reels. These are also called closed faced reels. Once comfortable with using them invest in open faced spinning reel. The open faced reels do allow you to cast farther, but can be intimidating. I have never learned how to properly use a baitcasting reel even though I have tried too many times to count. To start out, keep the kids rods around 5'6". Later on they can graduate to longer rods.

Don't invest a lot of money in things like crankbaits and other types of these lures until you have some experience fishing. Like suggested buy some jig packs, plastic body types or maribou. Crappies like pink, yellow white, red, and sometimes black can be really hot. Go to some of the bigger fishing tackle websites and just look over some of the stuff for sale. You might be surprised what you will catch on some of those panfish jigs, my personal best was a 7# Walleye on a pink maribou crappie jig.

The important thing is to have fun!!!