Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

Long Weekend Report

6 posts in this topic

Didn’t fish as hard this weekend as I have been lately, but was able to get out a couple of nights.

Water temp is now up to 77 degrees and the water is coming down on a steady pace. A lot of sandbars and snags are starting to show their face and mud is appearing at the landings.

Fish seem to be scattered and no real pattern could be established. Our best spot was in the middle of a straight stretch with no structure or snags, anchored right in the middle of the river.

The only key thing that made us try the spot was that it was downstream about 100yrds from a very small creek that had fresh water coming in which was holding a lot of baitfish.

One of the fish I caught there was a 38x22.5” 25lb Flat that either hadn’t eaten in quite some time, or just dumped a load of eggs. Very skinny.

As we come out of this postspawn period don’t be afraid to try any spot with any bait, you just might be surprised. Our best spot of the weekend was probably the last spot of choice, but we were passing by anyways so we decided to fish it.

I've heard of other very nice fish caught this weekend (a few 40's).

How did everyone else do?

I was out Fri, Sat., and Sun.

Friday night I got the wife and kids out of Shakopee and went and watched the Valley Fair fireworks. Managed to catch one little flat about 7 pounds as well.

Saturday went out with Crazyice and one of his Rochester buddies. We managed two small fish from a good looking spot but decided to move and look for bigger fish. Turned out those two were the only two we got.

Sunday about the same....was out with DTRO last night and pulled one fish from a deep hole and another from a midriver snag.

Hard to put a finger on the pattern.....but putting some time in is always enjoyable anyway.

I was out pretty much all weekend. Thursday night pulled a 30# out of a creek mouth, normal catfish location. Friday we fished snags during the day a few smaller ones taken out, then fished shallow sandbars with alot of bait fish, lots of runs, and one small one. Saturday we again hit snags during daylight hours and deep holes, a few smaller ones for our effert. Then about midnight we were heading back to the landing and decided to give a small drainage ditch a try on a straight stretch of river no deep holes or snags piles around, and boated a 42#. This one also had an empty stomach. So I am assuming she just dumped her eggs. All and all a slow fishing weekend!

only went out on thursday night fish a deep hole all night till 2 am a few hits/runs run drop type hits and one 21" flat heard a big one (40 plus) got caught up a cuople bends monster log jam fish. lots of fireworks going on fished with chubs and bullies pretty slow night. Busy landing seen nine vehicles at the landing when i left thats the most all year.

Waht do you guys call a snag a tree down? I am a walleye guy trying to catch a few cats with my dad and have had no luck in that dept. I used to catch tons on the mn river in granite falls but not near here.