Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNBassGuy

Minnewaska

14 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about Lake Minnewaska? I'm heading up there on Friday to do some prefishing. I'm basically starting from scratch with the maps.

I hear there are some dandy smallmouth in there, but that they're tough to find after they have spawned.

BBB was out there a few weeks back, it was won on smallies. if you can find them, stick to that all day, and you will win it.

The type of fishing on Minnewaska is very similar to Green Lake. You should be able to use the same presentations on there as you did on Green. (i seen pictures of you holding smallies in the picture post) From what i found this lake is loaded with smallies so you know the drill with them hard bottom. grin

Bass Bonanza was out there but the winning team won on Largemouth. Actually there was very few Smallmouth weighed in. Typically largemouth win events on that body of water after the spawn is done.

The lake is loaded with dandy largemouth and smallmouth. It'll probably take a 3.5lb average to win right now. The bulk of the smallmouth finished spawning about 3 weeks ago and should be ready to really feed, but don't ignore the largies. We won the Wed. night tournament last week and pulled over 20 3pounders off of one small spot in a short period of time. We had a hair under 17lbs. total on 5 fish. You'll have a good time out there.

Isn't there a way to do private messages on this forum? Weird.

Praire, email me when you have a chance (and if you can be bothered):

jason.holmer@gmail.com

thats correct. Slows the site down to much to have them here.

The Silverado Pro-Am is out there on Saturday.

I would just post the gps coordinates for all the "pros" to see!

It is true, the smallmouth have really started to blow up in that lake. I feel more comfortable fishing for the largemouth out there, mostly because I have primarily fished them in the past. It's a great lake and a lot of fun to fish.

the term "pros" is used alittle too loosely around here I prefer to call them boaters. any yahoo with a checkbook can fish as a "pro" the ones who get paid are the only ones who are. hence the difference between professional and amature. Sorry but I have fished a few pro-ams where the boaters ask me for spots because they have not put anytime into prefishing it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.

• Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.

• On 8/9/2016 at 9:59 PM, monstermoose78 said:

I picked up this sign

image.jpeg

Lets try it like this.

image.thumb.jpeg.8224b090f90bf86e1e962663f47e18b4.jpeg

• Yah - great looking decoys!

MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount.

I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.

image.jpeg

• I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.

image.jpeg

• That's a lot of hens Caddis - nice find!  I had three babies just starting last weekend in my woods, so I'm hoping to get some this weekend.  I've found hens through October by me (South of Metro), so we still have a full month of good shrooming ahead of us.
    • Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.
    • Lets try it like this.
    • Yah - great looking decoys! MJ - I'm just letting you know I'm breaking into your house and stealing your spear rack.  And mount. I found a rickety old 5 tine when I cleaned out the garage.  I might give it a try this season.
    • I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.
    • I'm putting it on my calendar.  Don't forget the Nord Lord trophy since it has a new home to go to. 
    • Detroit News breaks 143 year tradition, endorses Gary Johnson.   The endorsement is the first time in the paper’s 143-year history it has endorsed someone other than the Republican Party’s nominee. http://www.breitbart.com/news/detroit-news-breaks-tradition-endorses-libertarian-gary-johnson/  
    • Kind of like Trump did Monday night.
    • Gets on a bunch of talk shows. Jumps another 5 points in the polls.. This just ain't working the way it's supposed to...
    • Looks like it's unanimous then. Good thing my vote goes to Hillary since it seems everyone thinks she is the best person for the job.
  • Our Sponsors