• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

July Morson report

Went up Thursday and came home Sunday night. Walleyes and smallies were the targeted species for this weekend. Went out Thursday night (beautiful evening) and caught all the walleyes we wanted - jigs and Gulp right outside of Hanson Bay. Went out for the day on Friday planning to head west to the reefs and humps, however the wind turned our crowd away (kids and grandparents). So we headed north to Sunset channel and fished a few islands and small reefs and did pretty well. This was an area I drove through but have never fished. Trolled spinners with grubs in 14 - 16 feet with biggest was 22 inches and did well numbers-wise. Did well Friday night (jig and Gulp) near Hanson Bay again.

Saturday was a repeat of Friday with the wind blowing and a fickle crowd, so again we turned into the Sunset channel and did OK taking enough for dinner and also caught a few larger fish. We trolled spinners in the same depths again. There were fish were deeper too, but no takers.

Wind blew again Sunday morning, so again no reef visiting. Headed out to a few rip rap islands nearby and threw for smallies. We caught eight smallies in an hour on a wind-blown shore. Also caught some walleyes mixed in. Used jigs and Gulp and Rapalas. A nice weekend - wish I could have ventured out towards the Dawson area but so such luck this weekend. Still managed to find fish and had a good time.

Made a day trip on Saturday. Never got to fish with Wildthing but I did see him at the fireworks on Canada day. oh yeah and on the water from about 2-3 miles away. Fished some reefs out in the open just west of Morson. Used mostly crawlers,even got a few on Gulp crawlers. Nothing big maybe 18-19 inch. A few nice saugers and a rock bass. Got most of the fish in deeper on the edge of the reefs. My dad was in another boat and he did better with jigs and minnows. The wind did pick up and we headed north to the end of Sunset and got in behind some islands and fished a few reefs. Switched to jigs and frozen shiners. We ended up in the south end of Miles bay. we made good time on the way in my buddies boat of course he likes to run wide open. Nice mess of eaters between the two boats. Weather couldnt be any nicer other than the wind. Not sure when I will make it up again but most likely be a day trip. maybe get out one evening for musky. Maybe. Hope everyone had a good 4th weekend! B-dude

Thanks for the reports guys! Heading up Thursday night. Plan on fishing Friday-Sunday. Wind forecast, as of right now doesn't look favorable.

Shorelunch, We typically run down Sunset on our way out west! we rarely stop to fish in there! Often wondered how many fish we were driving over to get to our "hot spots"!

Came home yesterday after 3 weeks at the trailer. Actually got tired of catching walleyes. Spent most of our time dragging spinners with crawlers and minnows. Fished mostly shorelines. Almost all our fish came off points on shorelines. Never had to go to far from our camp. Only fished from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Caught all sizes up to 28". Had some muskie action in the weeds (when we could find some). Wind kept us from fishing a lot of our hot spots. Will be home until 1st of August. Darn!

Dick (Baitmaker)

Wind blows!

Mayflys incredible!

No blueberries yet

Just got back from 10 days at camp and fished 9 of them and it was windy almost every day. Worst string of windy days we've had in four or five years. I hate wind...

We did NOT have the success you guys did. Tried mostly reefs and rarely caught more than 2-3 fish at each reef. Did catch some in areas with current, too. My neighbor caught fish in wind-blown weeds in a place he says he hasn't seen walleyes in 20 years... an odd year indeed... it seems the walleyes can't make up their minds if its spring, summer or fall...

Saturday was a prime example for the trip... fished four reefs before I got my first walleye, then caught a few really nice ones (18-19 inches) then the wind came up to 28 mph and had to get off the lake... that was the whole week in a nut shell...

We caught enough for our prescribed three meals (gotta limit that mercury intake!) and to bring limits home... biggest was 26.5 inches... but it never got crazy hot good like reef fishing can get in July... used all crawlers and spinners except one day with B-dude's dad with jigs and minnows, which didn't work very well either...

Had a great vacation, though, with beaches, tubing, kayaking, paddleboating, eating too much, cigars, beer, gin and tonics, etc. etc...

Mayfly hatch was the largest I've ever seen up there, but my exposure is limited... it's also the latest and longest hatch I've seen... they hatched for two weeks... also in July! They are usually done hatching by mid-June in my memory.... mile-long bug slicks on the lake and wind-blown beaches covered with nymph carcasses! Yuck!!

Water level stabilizing but still very high.... the beaches have shrunk to nothing!!

Blueberries could be good but still small and green.. another two weeks at least (last year we picked ripe berries in June!!!!)

Home for 10 days and then back up. Hope the reef fishing improves by then!!

Take care...

We're headin' up to Morson for 6 days starting Thursday. Staying at a buddies island further east. Hope the smallies co-operate. Wind looks like it'll be up, too.

and then the wind blew......Wow, got to the trailer Thursday night. Friday morning was a series of thunderstorms. Finally got on the lake about 11:00. We hid from the wind and fished until about 4:30. Looked like more weather was imminen, so we headed for shore.

Saturday was unbelievable. The wind just kept getting stronger. No chance of getting out on the lake. Sunday we woke up to winds strong enough that we weren't going to try to fish so we packed up and came home.

Won't get back up there now til mid August.

Wow Sumander, what a bummer. I feel for ya. Hey at least you didn't burn a lot of gas!!!

It would be interesting to compare year to year, but I can't ever recall a year with so many windy days/weather changes/fronts. Oddly, the fishing has been pretty good when you get figure out where they are and then get there.

We head back up Wednesday for 4 days. I'm not even asking for great fishing, just some flat calm days!

Any other reports out there?

Wild Thing, We were talking with the guys over at BVR about that very same thing, alot of windy days! The consensus seems to be that it has been windier than "normal". I have been up there 4 times this year fishing a total of 14 possible days. Other than one Sunday when the lake went flat we have been challnged by wind every day.

I have never seen waves like Saturday up there! It looked like you could have surfed on the waves breaking at the Narrow west of BVR.

Hey WT! seems our schedules have been opposite lately too. I see you are heading back up on Wednesday and thats when I go back to work and wont be home til sunday morning. I am however heading up later this afternoon and spending the night at dads. Wind finally died down last night. Curious to see if that water is churned up any as windy as it was. At least the breeze kept the bugs away.

We fished from Thursday evening through Sunday. Wind, rain, thunder, lightning, more rain more and more and stronger and stronger wind. Power went out twice. Ran out of beer by Saturday. Never seen anything like it up in Morson. Caught eyes on Thursday evening and little else after that.

My gawd, you ran out of beer! That's the worst thing.....

Thanks for the report...

Wind blows!

Uffda. I'm driving up into this tonight. The forecast looks a little better for wind. Hope this string is broken!

Where did you catch them when you did get out (reefs, weeds, shore?)

We got them on the breakline of reefs in 18' to 22'. We did run out of beer from being on shore so muche but, luckily, it was on Saturday. We just had to go give blood at the Morson store to load up again.

We did run out of beer from being on shore so muche but, luckily, it was on Saturday. We just had to go give blood at the Morson store to load up again.

We had to do that same thing in mid June when we were up there! That is painful. $37 for a case of Labatt Lite.