• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod/Reel & Line Suggestions

Dawkins

Very new to fishing, just purchased a boat. For the most part I like to fish for crappie and sunfish using a slip bobber with typically live bait attached. My main concerns for a rod/reel is ability to cast far (for when I shore fish) and accurate. I also wish to get into fishing for walleye with lindy rig / live bait type rigs. I am looking for a good rod and spinning reel that will be good for both scenarios.

I do not mind spending money, I was looking at "st Croix" rods and read about them but afraid I am spending more then I need to.

I have no idea what type of reel or line to purchase, when I enter a store I am completely confused with all the options.

Please help me guys! =)

I USE ST CROIX RODS 7.6 IN AND 7FT MEDIUM LITE IVE USED IT FOR FOR ALL KINDS ON FISH NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM I USE A SPINNING REEL. I KNOW THEY COST A LOT OF MONEY BUT TO ME THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY.

PACKRAT

If ur using a baitcasting reel they say to use a rod that's about 7-7 1/2 feet to get better accuracy with less effort....I have a 6 1/2 foot medium action rod with an open spool reel that I use for pretty much everything.....I'd suggest buying a light action rod with a smaller reel to match for your pan fishing expeditions.....the light action in the rod allows to have a better fight with the fish where a medium action rod allows you to just pull the panfish in without getting a fight out of em....

I would look for a rod at least 6.5' for casting. Check out these fine rod companies. They all will have exactly what you are looking for.

Limit creek rods

Midwest Rod & reel

Jason Mitchell rods

Thorne Bros.

I have 1 setup that does everything you want, because I use it for exactly the same thing. G. Loomis PR 8400(7ft Walleye seris) teamed with a better 1500 or 2500 Shimano (mine is a Stradic 1500). Best all around panfish rod I have ever had and a great lighter lindy rod(kinda soft for big minnows) usually run 6# Trilene XL but can handle 8# too. Just a awesome bobber setup and super for casting weightless tubes and such. At least check out the rod if you get a chance before you purchase.

Good Luck, JJZ